Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have A maple tree with small wilting leaves. I’ve done some reading online and it said it could be under watered or to hot. I’ve been putting the water hose on giving it a good 5-10 min soak but I’m not seeing any improvement. Anyone else having issues like this, should I just keep watering it or hit it with some fertilize?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s about 20 years old give it take. 30-40’ tall kinda a narrow branch spread. The whole tree is wilting, and the leaves seem like there abnormally small. The only activity that’s happened around the tree is the grass getting cut. There’s a small ant bed that I haven’t bothered to put ortho on yet. Tomorrow I can get some pictures. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
On a side note. I did notice while riding my motorcycle north of Stockton yesterday lots of trees are dropping leaves on the road. When I lived in Kansas we had this happen one year when the temps hit the 110's for a couple weeks. Tree's looked bare in August.

Not sure if it's that hot here yet but who knows.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
we've been getting some record-breaking heat in the southeast lately. i remember the last dry spell when everybody would put a 5 gal bucket of water next to their trees and punch a small hole in the side to slowly release the water. i don't think you could over water in this heat. leave a hose dripping next to the tree. it won't hurt. but, as pointed out, there's nothing you can do about verticillium.
jack

Reactions: Catchemall

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I had an orange tree looking like that and gave it plenty of water with little results . what seemed to snap it back in place was a mixed a big 4 tube of miracle gro and evenly poured it around it. it is always good to have your soil checked for compatibility of given plants .

BTW the ad's have gotten better on the forum
One-piece garment Smile Dress Happy Adaptation

·
Registered
53 Posts
In the picture showing the entire tree, the bottom of the main trunk looks abnormal. The color, texture and extent of the bark at the bottom doesn't look healthy. See if you can scrape just a tiny part of the bark in that area, and see what's beneath the dark stuff. If it's mushy pulp, bad deal. The health of the bark is vital to the tree.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ll check that out. The truck is dark at the bottom because it’s wet from the sprinklers. The sprinklers just turned off before I took that picture. I watered it real good with miracle grow about an hour ago, but I’ll go down and scape around on the bottom of the trunk and report back.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
you shouldn't feed plants when they are sick, feed when they are growing strong and need extra nutrition. the plants that y'all are describing have a health problem. lack/too much water, disease, insects. find the cause of the problem before you fertilize.
jack

Reactions: davidwallis61

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 30 foot tall Live Oak in my yard that has patches where the bark has separated or is easily pulled off. Despite it having a full and healthy canopy of leaves, several tree "experts" said I should cut it down, at a good deal price, freaking killers and robbers. After meeting some very experienced experts it is evident my Live Oak is "rebarking" itself, beneath the peeling off bark is new bark, 100% healthy. I have seen other Live Oaks with the same bark characteristics, very healthy trees.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Live oaks are amazing trees. They're tough as nails and can survive some pretty harsh conditions, including being flooded for months at a time and high salinity. They also push off the old leaves with new ones. The root system on a healthy tree runs a third farther than the canopy which is one reason they're the last tree standing in a major hurricane.

·
Registered
284 Posts
davidwallis61, the bark on your live oak peeling away, is most likely from Sally thrashing and stretching the tree to the point the bark was separated from the cambium layer and it takes years for it to reveal itself as the new bark begins to push the old damaged bark away. I bet the bark that is peeling away is on the side the wind was coming from, southeast.
Shipoke

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am sure Sally gave it a good lashing and maybe some of the bark peeling is that. However I was seeing this in May 2019 when I had an email exchange with a horticultural agent for Santa Rosa County, they were suspecting Formosan termites, but that hasn't been evident. Incredibly durable trees unless an insane bama fan dumps industrial strength herbicide around the tree.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here’s some pictures of the trunk after it’s dried out some. Does it look like a pest, fungus, etc? I’m going to Lowes today and I will show the pictures to them, maybe someone there is familiar too. Friday I watered real good with the miracle grown, and then most of Saturday it got plenty of rain.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
That looks better than what I expected from the first pictures. The bark looks okay but it does look like some old scars maybe from a grass trimmer but not enough to make it less full of leaves. With the hot temps gone for a bit, I wouldn't water it any more or fertilize. A tree that mature should have deep roots, continuously too wet roots can rot. The Lowes or HD folks likely don't have any experience with what you present to them. An arborist will probably charge you +$100 just to look at it. You may try contacting your county Extension Service, they have Master Gardeners that could help. Also try a local nursery that sells trees, they may have some suggestions on causes and treatments. Good luck and update please.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Here’s some pictures of the trunk after it’s dried out some. Does it look like a pest, fungus, etc? I’m going to Lowes today and I will show the pictures to them, maybe someone there is familiar too. Friday I watered real good with the miracle grown, and then most of Saturday it got plenty of rain.
Don't bother showing the people at lowes. Wait until Monday and go to your local extension office. They will come out and look at it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts