Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
They will start schooling up and will start to hit literally anything you throw them. My favorite is a double sparkle beetle rig under a popping cork.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured out the bird thing finally...cant miss em. Was just a few(20 or so) but I saw what yall were talking about anyways

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Generally, a good cold snap starts the running of the bulls - bull reds in the passes. Big fish and big fun.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Caught 4 Bull Reds way up the Magnolia River this am, and 4 specs. Specs are still on the small side, only 2 of 4 were keepers. Bull Reds are becoming a nuisance! Takes 30 minutes to land each on from my yak - 2 hours altogether this am away from specs.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
It's gonna get better! Cooler water makes the reds go ape-$#!t!!!

FYI though, once it starts getting really cold the fishing will probably die where you've been fishing most of the year. Cold water is a signal for inshore fish to move up the bay into their deeper, warmer wintering holes. It takes some time on the water to find these deeper holes but when you do, the fishing is typically fantastic all winter long. Also, your bait presentation will need to change from what's favored in warmer months. I get best results with larger soft plastics (3-4inches) on 1/4oz jigheads with short sharp hops and long pauses. The larger size is more likely to entice fish that are trying to conserve energy but when they're not hungry the sharp hops are more likely to draw reaction strikes.

Good luck!
Alex

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you want some great fishing try the 3MB towards the hump as the water here gets cooler. White Trout are schooled up like crazy there and will usually hit anything.

I usually use a DOA shrimp or Gulp shrimp on a jig head and send it to the bottom. Bounce it down there and you'll feel the trout start to peck at it. If you can't feel anything after trying for a little bit, changes piling locations and try again. Once you find them you can load up on them and they are just as good to eat as Specks and there is no limit.

As for Specks, I usually find them in the upper bays, like near the Escambia mouth during the cooler months. We'll fish a chartruese grub on a jig head and reel while bumping it every few yards on the retrieve. They like to hit on the fall after the bump.

Like previous posters noted, the running of the Bulls will be starting very soon out by the Pass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts