Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
I believe we should do away with the gators all together. I mean, gay is their first syllable so they obviously are biased against LGBTQ. Then you add in this racist Gator Bait stuff and it would be better just to shut down the program IMO.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,164 Posts
Here's an explanation from a Florida professor with a PhD in history.

Interview from a G'ville sports radio show.

I can honestly say though I've seen images of these postcards, I never made the connection.

Google "Gator Bait" and look at the images.

I don't think getting rid of the cheer is a big deal.

Go Gators!

Jim

·
Registered
9,874 Posts

I can honestly say though I've seen images of these postcards, I never made the connection.

Go Gators!

Jim
it's a cheer, I get it, but "what is/would be a big deal to you?"

I also read somewhere no one can track this back to being true, but yeah, i read this on the internet... true, not true, who really knows....

·
Registered
3,511 Posts

Go Gators!

Jim
Funny because a black historian, Patricia Turner says all the stories are not true. .and Snopes said there is no evidence to be found of the stories being true.
NYT printed a story in 1923, but retracted the story a month later.
My grandfather and his brother used to hunt gators back in the 20s and 30s for extra money...the bait? Live chickens.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Funny because a black historian, Patricia Turner says all the stories are not true. .and Snopes said there is no evidence to be found of the stories being true.
NYT printed a story in 1923, but retracted the story a month later.
My grandfather and his brother used to hunt gators back in the 20s and 30s for extra money...the bait? Live chickens.
doesn't really matter whats "true" now days.

its just how someone with access to the mass media perceives it to be, and well, there you have it.

They'll tell you what to believe.

And, well, damn you, if you don't get in line and follow along smartly, if not, they'll ruin your career and you'll be labeled a racist. Mission accomplished..

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yes, the professor in the radio says it's a "folk tale". He has no direct evidence that it happened.

There were news stories though.

You really think a local newspaper from California or the NYT sent a reporter to Chipley...and that anyone from Chipley would have taken them gator hunting?
Not too familiar with Chipley, Bonifay and Vernon, are you? Everyone was kin by blood or marriage and outsiders were kept out of the loop because of all the stills that existed in that area.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Looks like the national anthem is next....

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You really think a local newspaper from California or the NYT sent a reporter to Chipley...and that anyone from Chipley would have taken them gator hunting?
If they had you probably would have never got a chance to read their story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,164 Posts
Not too familiar with Chipley, Bonifay and Vernon, are you? Everyone was kin by blood or marriage and outsiders were kept out of the loop because of all the stills that existed in that area.
I agree. That's why the historian calls it a "folk tale". Could not call it true or false.

But that folk tale had been illustrated if not commemorated in postcards and advertisement of the early 1900's.

Jim

·
Registered
729 Posts
PNJ article said that African-American that started the whole cheer thing had no idea about the folklore tale.

Next we're gonna tear down the Washington Monument (he was a slave owner), raze the Jefferson Memorial ( he was a slave owner) and nearly every other historical symbol!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts