Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will ANYTHING strip the paint off of a Mitchell reel? I have a 302 and a 402 that I am customizing, but I cant get the paint stripped. I soaked it in the following:

Lacquer thinner: 3 days
Aircraft stripper: 2 days
Paint thinner: 10-12 days

NOTHING has affected it in any way? I recently stripped a 304 and it took about 2 weeks, but it came off. The best thing I found was the paint thinner. It worked slowly, but surely. On the 402, it has 0 effect!

Any ideas? I do not have a service locally that will media blast small scale projects. I already looked.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I used the aerosol aircraft stripper that foams up and a stiff bristle brush when I did my 302. Paint came right off. A couple spots needed to get hit a couple of times but it wasn't too bad

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the aerosol aircraft stripper that foams up and a stiff bristle brush when I did my 302. Paint came right off. A couple spots needed to get hit a couple of times but it wasn't too bad

Yep, that's what I used. Nothing! Might as well have been Windex.

I have a siphon sandblaster that I bought to clean rust off of boat trailers. Works great for that, but I'm afraid it might be a bit aggressive for aluminum reels.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
A big amberjack will strip one....

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wonder if any of the fiberglass shops have a soda blaster. That would probably do a great job on things like a reel.
That was my first thought. But I don't have anything like that here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts