Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was seriously considering getting a 2012 Wilderness Ride 135. Do any of you have one? I would be eternally grateful for any advice, comments, or reviews.:gunsmilie:

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Ernie Cavitt's got one and raves about it. At least till he got a SUP and rigged it for fishing. It's a good fishing yak: big, stable, lots of room for mounting gear. Biggest weakness though is it's on the slow side.

Good luck,
Alex

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't cause I live in Austin, but I have & there r many people here who do. 1 of the better yaks for that, very stable. I have b4 & would more if I was closer 2 coast. Being from Maine I hate being this far from the coast.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Doing a little bit of research, I bought a Pelican 11.6 fishing kayak. Went out twice, nearly sank. I am a big guy. 6'4'', 330lbs

Did a LOT of research, then tried it out at Pensacola Kayak and Sail. Those guys are awesome. Wanted the WS Ride 115 b/c of price, but they guy there strongly recommended I at least try the 135. Didn't really have the extra $100, but I tried it anyway.

I bought the 135 the next day. Loved it that much. Its huge, its kinda heavy and awkward. Bought Wheeleez, adjusted more foam on those, and now I couldn't be more happy. There are several great videos on Youtube (type in "Wilderness Systems Ride 135").

I can't stand up in it yet.....need to lose weight for better balance. I always find at least one person wherever I go out that wants to talk to me about it.

By the way, I call it my "Cadillac" because I feel like it's the best !!!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Yeah, that Ride 135 is a big boy. I def. wanted one because of how wide it is. Ended up with the Heritage angler 14, which is 31" wide and it has treated me well thus far. Prob not nearly as comfortable as anything WS makes, though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as I can tell, it is what I have been looking for. Hopefully, Dad and I will have one by the end of the week or the weekend.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2012 Ride 135 and haven't had any regrets. I bought it for the versatility. I wanted something I could take inshore, offshore, and had the capability to stand in. It's super stable and was standing up in it within 5 min. It feels a little tippy when you first stand but once the chines engage it solid. As far as speed, I'd say you're on par with a Tarpon 120. I only say this cuz my fishing partner has one and I paddle stroke for stroke with him. If he had a 140 I'd fall behind though. The yak is on the heavy side but that is easily solved with a good cart. If your in the area you're more than welcome to take it for a spin. Don't think you can go wrong with this yak. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ride 115

I bought the Ride 115 and love it! offshore or inshore it does everything I need. I new to Yaking but this is a big improvement over my FST12T.
Tracks great and super sturdy. Was out in the gulf the past few weekends
and really enjoyed it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ive been doing some looking into getting a kayak and the ride 135 keeps coming up. Havent heard a bad thing about em and a bit cheaper than the hobies. Post some pic and tell us how you like it if thats what you get..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts