Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I would have thought to take a picture of them this morning, but of course I didn't..... Has anyone came across wild blueberries in Blackwater? I'm no botanist, but these looked just like blueberries, but were growing very low to the ground. Smaller than what you would grow in your yard or buy in the store, but look exactly the same.

Anyone know if there is a dangerous look alike? I can't find good info online about anything that would look like blueberries but is poisonous. I've found plenty of blackberries but never blueberries out there.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Blueberries won’t be ripe for a couple of months. If your talking about Blackberries the low growing ones are Dewberries or that’s what I was taught to call them
They ripen earlier than there taller cousins Blackberries and can be found all over the place. Fence rows are a great place to find them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blueberries won’t be ripe for a couple of months. If your talking about Blackberries the low growing ones are Dewberries or that’s what I was taught to call them
They ripen earlier than there taller cousins Blackberries and can be found all over the place. Fence rows are a great place to find them

Nah these look like blueberries, I've found some of the blackberry looking ones . All of them weren't ripe yet so maybe it was blueberry

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went out and picked a mess of them. Definitely blueberries. The wife is making a cobbler, too bad I couldn't score another gobbler but I dont think I'll make it out tomorrow.

Good luck to whoever's getting out there tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice I’ve never seen them ripe this early

All the ripe ones were in a sunny open area. There are still tons on the bushes that weren't ready yet. I may have to make another trip....apparently wild blueberries have a higher antioxidant concentration? Either way they are small but taste great. The kids loved picking them

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
My family has a good size piece of property near Foley and we have both wild and “domestic” blue berries. I don’t eat them but my dad says the wild ones taste better. The wild ones we have are smaller and seem to be less in number per bush too.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My family has a good size piece of property near Foley and we have both wild and “domestic” blue berries. I don’t eat them but my dad says the wild ones taste better. The wild ones we have are smaller and seem to be less in number per bush too.
They did taste pretty good. My wife made a cobbler with them and it didn't last very long. I've definitely got this spot marked for future picking trips....also because it's a good turkey spot.

·
Registered
966 Posts
We have a bunch of them on my property here in Panama City. One bush is by the front gate. My son has been pulling a couple off as he opens the gate when we leave.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts