Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...since I have been away from the Gulf Coast these past 10 years...I have been given IOU's basically every other year for either a Father's Day, Christmas or Birthday present from the "better half". It is soon her time to pay up.

I truly stopped keeping count on how many fishing rods she has told me to go buy a fishing rod and reel. I told her that I'd wait to get back to Pcola as I wanted some new stuff once I retired. Well, am sure she has forgotten...but I will let her off the hook as long as I get a decent couple of custom rods and Penn reels.

Any good ideas of where to get a good custom spinning rod for a Penn 7500? Also, am thinking I want a good custom bottom fishing rod as well for grouper and snapper digging. What do yall recommend? Was thinking about a wide Penn Senator 113 or 114...but what about a custom rod for it?

Think I will also tell her that I want a weekend outing as well by myself. Will bounce around and fish for whatever and sleep on the boat. Will be a good break from all the stuff on the Honey-Do list for the newly builthousethat I have been doing the past month since retiring.

Cheers,

·
Registered
802 Posts
You can get both those reels with Penn Slammer rods as a combo at most tackle shops and Walmart. Most Often they are cheaper bought as a combo than just buying the reel. Even if you seel the rod to buy a custom it might be the way to go.

Kevin

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
forget the penns go with shimano spinning or diawa sea lines for conventional. The little tackle shop in shalimar yacht basin made my son an awesome grouper digging rod.

·
Super Moderator
12,780 Posts
wait... hold up... you said CUSTOM ROD right...

you're not gonna get a 'custom' rod at wal-mart.

i would HIGHLY recommend Earnie Cavitt, of Cavitt's Custom Rods... he builds all of my and always does very quality work.... you can shoot hima PM on the forum, his user name is 'Linda&Earnie' .:bowdown:bowdown:bowdown:clap

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
She might SAY she has forgot but I have learned something about women in the last 30 something years.....They NEVER forget!!!!!! I will look in my shed, I think I may have a good rod for the pinner I would let go real cheap if it will fit your needs. I will get back with you.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
The diawas blow penn out of the water, better drag system and smoother reels you can either troll or lock down the drag and bottom fish with them. Way better.

·
Registered
372 Posts
lobsterman (10/9/2007)The diawas blow penn out of the water, better drag system and smoother reels you can either troll or lock down the drag and bottom fish with them. Way better.

I agree 100%. Especially since the Penns, now made in China, have diminished in quality.

·
Registered
782 Posts
ain't it funny that these new penn spinning rods look very ugly stick-ish. i guess it was only a matter of time that k-2 started intergrating there lines. notice the silverados and captivas are very shakespeare-ish as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advice...will do some lookin' through the recommendations.

Had NO clue that Penns were built in China now. Guess I never thought about it. However I will definitely look into the Daiwas. Guess I have always been a trademark kind of guy. Still using Ande mono as well when everyone else it seems has gone to braided or other types.

Will see how it goes when I drop the bomb of "oh yah, it's time to pay up and I don't want to hear about anymore IOU's". Might need to find a cheap hotel for a cooling period :sleeping

1 - 12 of 12 Posts