Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Wife and Son first AJ

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Boat-Dude 
#1 ·
I set out Sunday in a mission. Get my wife and son on an AJ. We left the dock at 6am and arrived to the pass shortly after for bait. I landed some really nice hard tails on a pomp jig and transitioned to sabiki rig. We got some really nice size LYs and smaller hard tail on the sabiki. Arrived to the fishing grounds at around 8am. Immediately started marking AJs. I decided to anchored bc my son wanted to bottom fish and I didn’t want to hold the boat in place with the motor.

Once the anchor was set, I dropped a hard tail. Immediate hook up. I took the first one bc I wanted to catch an AJ! Every drop after that landed an AJ. We where exhausted! Lol. Dripping on sweat. After we had our fill of AJ, we stared bottom fishing. We had live LYs, cut mackerel, and cut bonita. The LYs on the bottom landed more AJs lol. We tried the mackerel and landed endangered red snapper, trigger, ruby reds, and a mingo. Once we started fishing with cut bonita, we starcatching gray snapper (Mangrove snapper). Really nice size ones. 18-21 inches.

All-in-all, a great day. Back to the dock at 1115am with great memories!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice job! Wow, all those fish and back before noon! I took the family out on Sunday but seemed like I booked the trip on the struggle-bus. Beautiful day, my 7 year old got a small AJ but otherwise it was a slow day. In hindsight I wish we'd gone out a bit further. :rolleyes:

Sounds like you guys had an awesome day, way to go!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.