Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She’s got a. TC .243 now which has been great but I’d like to get her something a bit larger in caliber. Regardless of shot placement that .243 has never laid down a decent blood trail and the trigger isn’t great. I know I can swap out the trigger but since I’m looking at other calibers anyways I don’t want to. Anybody have wives or daughters that hunt and have caliber/ brand recommendations? I’m leaning towards 270. I shoot a .308 and she hates it

· Registered
4,620 Posts
She’s got a. TC .243 now which has been great but I’d like to get her something a bit larger in caliber. Regardless of shot placement that .243 has never laid down a decent blood trail and the trigger isn’t great. I know I can swap out the trigger but since I’m looking at other calibers anyways I don’t want to. Anybody have wives or daughters that hunt and have caliber/ brand recommendations? I’m leaning towards 270. I shoot a .308 and she hates it
.260 then 7mm 08 next step ups she don’t like the 308 she probably won’t like the 270 sure some will recommend the 6.5 creedmore

· Registered
4,620 Posts
.260 then 7mm 08 next step ups she don’t like the 308 she probably won’t like the 270 sure some will recommend the 6.5 creedmore
Bullet construction has a lot to do with poor blood trails also. With what ever you choose. .243 with a quality bullet for the size game it’s intended for will do a good job most of the time.

· Registered
3,576 Posts
I would try one of the calibers mentioned above before a 270. The 6.5cm gets a lot of hate but the 143gr ELD-x has done great for me and is insanely accurate. The 260 is an awesome round but finding ammo can be hit or miss.

Another option would be to get her a 308 and put a good quality muzzle break on it like vg6, it will be loud as all hell but it will significantly reduce the recoil. I put a vg6 epsilon on a 6.5cm that I built for my son and there's almost zero felt recoil, it's pretty wild how well it works.

· Registered
4,620 Posts
Brakes make a huge difference in felt recoil. But the muzzle blast is in your face. Another option is a suppressed rifle. Now there is the game changer takes the crack out and after playing with a 7mm rem mag the other day screwing the suppresser on and off it makes a big diff. in recoil also.

· US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
4,495 Posts
Winchester 100g Power Points in .243
That's all I use. Most times you can't find/see the entry wound, but the exit wound is the size of a silver dollar.
I believe the reason for the small entry wound is because I'm so close to the deer when I shoot, usually within 15 to 25 yards. But taken many 100+ yds.
Some years ago, I went to pistol hunting and single shot rifle hunting. I use the T/C Encore platform, but I don't have a .243 barrel for it, so I shoot the 7mm-08 barrel exclusively on that platform. I use the 139g Hornady SST in my 7mm-08.

I wished they made .243 SST 100g ammo, I'd buy a .243 barrel for the Encore if they did.
I've not seen loaded .243 SST ammo in 100g, only 95g.
They sell 6mm 100g SST bullets, going to buy some and reload them just to see if they're as good or better than the 100g power points.

I'd say to try different .243 bullets and I would only shoot the 100g.
Try the Winchester 100g power points or maybe the Remington 100g core-lokt or something else if you've used both of these already.
I personally do not like the core-lokt, but there's many who swear by them as I do the power points and sst's.
Or, you can always buy a 7mm-08 and some 139g SST's and no more worries except bullet placement.
g/l

· Registered
4,620 Posts
Winchester 100g Power Points in .243
That's all I use. Most times you can't find/see the entry wound, but the exit wound is the size of a silver dollar.
I believe the reason for the small entry wound is because I'm so close to the deer when I shoot, usually within 15 to 25 yards. But taken many 100+ yds.
Some years ago, I went to pistol hunting and single shot rifle hunting. I use the T/C Encore platform, but I don't have a .243 barrel for it, so I shoot the 7mm-08 barrel exclusively on that platform. I use the 139g Hornady SST in my 7mm-08.

I wished they made .243 SST 100g ammo, I'd buy a .243 barrel for the Encore if they did.
I've not seen loaded .243 SST ammo in 100g, only 95g.
They sell 6mm 100g SST bullets, going to buy some and reload them just to see if they're as good or better than the 100g power points.

I'd say to try different .243 bullets and I would only shoot the 100g.
Try the Winchester 100g power points or maybe the Remington 100g core-lokt or something else if you've used both of these already.
I personally do not like the core-lokt, but there's many who swear by them as I do the power points and sst's.
Or, you can always buy a 7mm-08 and some 139g SST's and no more worries except bullet placement.
g/l
SST is a bonded bullet Hornady calls it interbonded(I was wrong with that sst's are not bonded Brandon SPC2 corrected me on that correctly) try Barns tsx's I've been shooting barns X's for years tsx's replaced them I still have a few thousand lol they make tsx's in 6mm you can thank me later lol. Barns makes great game bullets they never fail (meaning they perform like they are suppose to always)and are pretty damn accurate for a hunting bullet. Not trying to argue but power points are Winchesters version of the core lock both have killed more shit that can be counted. But both can and do fail. Bonded or good copper bullets that always open retain their mass but always pass through are the best. And if you load and want to shoot barns bullets Like tsx's you will have to have barns data they require more powder because of the way they are made. And something else to remember they longer per weight than a lead core bullet.

· Registered
967 Posts
SST is a bonded bullet Hornady calls it interbonded try Barns tsx's I've been shooting barns X's for years tsx's replaced them I still have a few thousand lol they make tsx's in 6mm you can thank me later lol. Barns makes great game bullets they never fail (meaning they perform like they are suppose to always)and are pretty damn accurate for a hunting bullet. Not trying to argue but power points are Winchesters version of the core lock both have killed more shit that can be counted. But both can and do fail. Bonded or good copper bullets that always open retain their mass but always pass through are the best. And if you load and want to shoot barns bullets Like tsx's you will have to have barns data they require more powder because of the way they are made. And something else to remember they longer per weight than a lead core bullet.
SST is NOT a bonded bullet. The SST bullet and the Interbond bullet are two completely different construction bullet.

· Registered
4,620 Posts
SST is NOT a bonded bullet. The SST bullet and the Interbond bullet are two completely different construction bullet.
Yep your right I went and looked. I was wrong there I guess that's why I don't have any SST's lol. Not sure why I though they were. Thanks for catching that. And correcting bad info. I fixed it.

· Super Moderator
34,149 Posts
I bought my ole lady a Ruger American in 7-08 a few years ago and she likes it....plus I already had a 7-08 so I had ammo. I have a couple 270's and would pick a 7-08 over them. 30-06 has all kinds of lower grain bullets, the one I just bought I sighted in with 165 grains and it didn't kick as hard as my 270 with 140 grains....Alot of choices out there!

· US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
4,495 Posts
Start hitting a high shoulder shot and you won’t need to worry about blood trails. .243 is money for whitetail.
Why Booger a deer up and ruin/waste meat busting up the shoulder(s)?
A .243 with light grain bullets is not a Bone Crushing round. And I've not seen too many deer shoulders where a .243 busted completely thru both sides taking out the heavy shoulder bones. The round usually stays inside after pretty much disintegrating after a solid hit to heavy bone.
I've seen deer hit that way with .270 ballistic silver tips, and still back legged ran across a field for a good 100yds.
Wow, what a sportsman eh.

Just target practice, learn the vital shot placements and take out the heart and lungs. A Very Ethical shot.
The deer I shoot whether 15 yds to 200yds are DRT with the .243. Not crowing, but I can put the round where it needs to be put, and I know my limits/abilities and the rounds I'm shooting. And I don't try and "push" those limits.
I do not rush shots, I patiently wait for the perfect shot, regardless of how big the deer or horns are. And if I don't get that right shot, I will not shoot. I rather let a deer walk before trying a bad shot and maybe booger it up and lose him only for it to die in misery which benefits neither.

But then again, I am a Hunter. I have let 10pts walk by me many times within 20 yds without shooting. Not to mention most every other rack size. I either didn't think it was big enough, it was too young to shoot, or I let it walk hoping my son would get it.

Just learn shot placement and you won't need to "take out the running gear".

· Registered
103 Posts
I wasn’t criticizing just a suggestion that shortens up tracking without going up in caliber/recoil to help out another hunter. Take it or leave it.

As far as the shot. It’s not the “running gear” I’m shooting at it’s that the central nervous system bundle that comes together between the shoulder blades. It’s lights out immediately. The deer never knows it’s hit. Yes it messes up more meat. It’s very ethical in my opinion.

Bone crushing is more predicated on bullet selection than caliber. Nothing about a whitetail is dense heavy bone. A bonded or monolithic bullet will punch right through a deers shoulders even out of .243. I wouldn’t take that shot without the right bullet either.

A ballistic tip isn’t designed to punch through bone, it’s designed to dump energy on contact and I’m not surprised that deer hit that way by a .270 ran 100+ yards.

Good luck to you the rest of the season.

· DROP TINE BUCK
6,763 Posts
Why Booger a deer up and ruin/waste meat busting up the shoulder(s)?
A .243 with light grain bullets is not a Bone Crushing round. And I've not seen too many deer shoulders where a .243 busted completely thru both sides taking out the heavy shoulder bones. The round usually stays inside after pretty much disintegrating after a solid hit to heavy bone.
I've seen deer hit that way with .270 ballistic silver tips, and still back legged ran across a field for a good 100yds.
Wow, what a sportsman eh.

Just target practice, learn the vital shot placements and take out the heart and lungs. A Very Ethical shot.
The deer I shoot whether 15 yds to 200yds are DRT with the .243. Not crowing, but I can put the round where it needs to be put, and I know my limits/abilities and the rounds I'm shooting. And I don't try and "push" those limits.
I do not rush shots, I patiently wait for the perfect shot, regardless of how big the deer or horns are. And if I don't get that right shot, I will not shoot. I rather let a deer walk before trying a bad shot and maybe booger it up and lose him only for it to die in misery which benefits neither.

But then again, I am a Hunter. I have let 10pts walk by me many times within 20 yds without shooting. Not to mention most every other rack size. I either didn't think it was big enough, it was too young to shoot, or I let it walk hoping my son would get it.

Just learn shot placement and you won't need to "take out the running gear".
You must hunt green fields exclusively?

· Registered
250 Posts
My wife uses a ruger American 7mm-08. We've had it probably 8 or 9 years now. It's a tack driver and she takes a couple deer out with it every season. I reload so Im not using max loads by any means. 120 grain barnes ttsx's. They do the job. My 12 year old son shoots her rifle just fine also. Recoil is pretty light.

· Super Moderator
34,149 Posts
Start hitting a high shoulder shot and you won’t need to worry about blood trails. .243 is money for whitetail.

Anything 100-125 yards out, gets a neck shot.... Too much what ifs trying to punch shoulders. I shot a buck years back with 180 gr 300 WM in the chest, he ran about 50 yards like nothing was up then stopped. Hit him in the neck that time, boom flop! I shot a buck last season with a 100 gr 243 in behind shoulder and he ran off about 40 yards not a speck of blood, shot him in the same place when I thought it was a different buck and he dropped but didn't die. I had to neck shoot him to put him out. Crap happens!!! hahaha

Reactions: GRAY AREA
1 - 20 of 54 Posts