Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not always about killing something. Some of the best times we've had this season were taking pictures and priding ourselves with letting them walk. Over the last couple of years we've tried to manage our herd a little and not shoot our young bucks. We are thankful to have private land where we can at least try.

Attachments

·
VIP of the PFF
8,548 Posts
Cool pictures ! But how much bigger do they have to be ? The one in the scope looks to be a pretty good buck. Always cool to be able to sit and watch eagles.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
That one in the scope is a FINE deer. I would have trouble watching him walk away, till I thought about those genetics getting passed on to next years batch.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Cool pictures ! But how much bigger do they have to be ? The one in the scope looks to be a pretty good buck. Always cool to be able to sit and watch eagles.
That "one" in the scope appears to be a nice 3 yr old. Two more years and you'll see why he is watching him. Kudos to the OP for doing it the right way.

·
Seafox 237 twin outboards
5,433 Posts
Most on here would have taken that one only because it met the 10 inch rule.
If you want quality racks, you gotta learn to let the four and five points walk on.
Which is why we constantly read complaints that all people see are spikes.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
That's pretty good that you can have nice bucks like that come out in the daylight next to a major road like that. Testimony to low pressure and the draw of good food on your property, I am guessing. :thumbsup:

A lot of folks on this forum are public land hunters and don't have the luxury of passing bucks in the hopes they will see them again next year...bigger and fatter. We can't look down on them for that as long as they are not breaking any laws. The FWC is going in the right direction with the DMUs and minimum antler size to protect the 1.5 y/o spikes. It's easier for a public land hunter to pass a buck when he is following the law knowing that other hunters in the area are legally bound to do the same thing.

Like the OP, I like to sit and watch deer on my place, but occasionally, I like to pull the trigger too! And I think I would have pulled the trigger on that one in the scope unless I already had something down bigger that year!! :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
28,632 Posts
Nice to have property that you can trust others.....Great pics!

·
Registered
14,771 Posts
Something I've learned the last two seasons: Unpressured deer are a completely different animal than pressured deer. If you kill a buck in Blackwater have it mounted..... May be the hardest animal to kill in the world!
Great pics for sure. Good job on letting them live!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the comments. Passing along good genes is something we are trying to do, while eliminating the "bad" ones. It's not always easy, especially for kids. We consider ourselves VERY fortunate to have private land!!!

Btw, it's not easy to take a picture with your phone through binoculars and scopes!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Cool pictures l let many deer walk each year but I with most around here I would have shot. I will still let them walk and convince myself it helps but the truth is it really doesn't if most are not doing the same. I'm not against others shooting what they want most of the time. Would love to see pics of the one you do take

1 - 12 of 12 Posts