Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this video shows someone spearfishing a black marlin

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/MExK8m-cN5I&rel=1 width=425 height=355 type=application/x-shockwave-flash wmode="transparent"></EMBED>

why would you spear such an awesome fish? it's not like they have any food value...

i just don't get why people would spear a marlin, or even keep one while fishing :looser

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Since you mentioned food value of the Black marlin I am going to ask a question I asked before, but never got an answer. People eat Swordfish, but I haven't heard of people eating other billfish. Are others eatable? If not, why? Just curious.

·
Super Moderator
12,781 Posts
sosmarine (11/28/2007)Since you mentioned food value of the Black marlin I am going to ask a question I asked before, but never got an answer. People eat Swordfish, but I haven't heard of people eating other billfish. Are others eatable? If not, why? Just curious.
they are, it's just hard to keep a big billfishcold on the way back in... plus, you might get crucified for killing one

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
yes, they are really pretty good to eat. I had it in Cozumel, cooked in a tomato sauce. It's routinely eaten there and was on the buffet at our hotel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Pacific Blue Marlin and Striped Marlin are often kept, marketed and eaten in Hawaii. Many restaurants serve it under local names, such as Kajiki. Generally for PBM anything under 250# is good to go for the grill. Much larger and smoking is generally accepted as the way to go...smoked kajiki is a local delicacy.

Check it out:

http://www.hawaii-seafood.org/kajiki.html

Striped marlin, or Nairagi, is locally considered the tastiest of all marlin...

http://www.hawaii-seafood.org/nairagi.html

I have seen a 400# PBM sell at auction for nearly 2$ per pound of whole fish...so clearly there is a market...but it's local.

The local fish market changes the dynamic a bit. I never caught a marlin there, but I did catch and sell a few of the extra wahoo I caught once...each were 24# and went for $4.10 / pound of whole fish. Not bad...

Mike

·
Banned
137 Posts
I thought we were interested in increasing or at least maintaining game fish stock. Why would anyone kill a game fish, blue, white, sail, blackto eat when you can catch "good eating" trigger, mingo, red, orgrouper? Is it an ego thing? "By God, I can kill it soI will!" Kind of like spearing a barracuda. Barracuda and shark eat the weak and help keep a species viable. Let's not catch the last fish.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I didn't ask the question to encourage killing these types of fish. I know people do catch and keep them yet I never hearof people eating them. I know of a Blue Marlin caught last year thatwound up being chum because nobody wanted it.

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Sometimes, despite best intentions, big fish die in the fight.

So you feed the sharks or you feed yourself.

If a big fish dies on you, keep it and be proud.

4,058 Posts
lbhuntley (11/28/2007)I thought we were interested in increasing or at least maintaining game fish stock. Why would anyone kill a game fish, blue, white, sail, blackto eat when you can catch "good eating" trigger, mingo, red, orgrouper? Is it an ego thing? "By God, I can kill it soI will!" Kind of like spearing a barracuda. Barracuda and shark eat the weak and help keep a species viable. Let's not catch the last fish.
wow..........ok here we go. FIRST of all, barracuda and sharks (absolute trash fish, both of them) are NOT the only ones who eat the weak....nearly every fish bigger than a mingo "eats the weak," ESPECIALLY billfish. Secondly, aside from a tournament, people would kill billfish to EAT them. Especially locals in Hawaii, Costa Rica, and various other South American countries. I have had smoked marlin before and it was fantastic. Do we kill em' on our boat? No....if I really wanted to and asked my captain before I sunk the cold steel into em, he'd say by all means.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts