Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
192 Posts
There is no difference in the fish where you are and the one's down south. I only throw the blues and channels back because I prefer to eat the flatheads. If you ever had someone cook up a batch of flathead bellies and then on another plate you had them cook up a batch of blue or channel cat, you would definitely see the difference.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
There is no difference in the fish where you are and the one's down south. I only throw the blues and channels back because I prefer to eat the flatheads. If you ever had someone cook up a batch of flathead bellies and then on another plate you had them cook up a batch of blue or channel cat, you would definitely see the difference.
I'll have to agree with you on this one roach...I like blues but you can't beat flathead done right.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Think I'll try that this weekend.
Thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
I actually prefer the taste of the Blues over the Flatheads. We used to catch blues on the TVA lakes in North Alabama. Flatheads were less common on the lakes, but the blues were thick in places. Maybe its just what you get used to. I do know of a lake that we used to catch a good many of flatheads on Bass Jigs at night. Always around clay cliffs, I guess they were spawning. Never did try to fish for them, but I bet you could get them there if you targeted them. Visibility is usually around 50' from the surface in the summer and depths of up to 200' exist. This along with an unbelievable amount of boat traffic and you see why we only fished at night. The lake is Lewis Smith by the way, known only as Smith Lake by the locals. Could be the ultimate challenge for a flathead tournament.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I actually prefer the taste of the Blues over the Flatheads. We used to catch blues on the TVA lakes in North Alabama. Flatheads were less common on the lakes, but the blues were thick in places. Maybe its just what you get used to. I do know of a lake that we used to catch a good many of flatheads on Bass Jigs at night. Always around clay cliffs, I guess they were spawning. Never did try to fish for them, but I bet you could get them there if you targeted them. Visibility is usually around 50' from the surface in the summer and depths of up to 200' exist. This along with an unbelievable amount of boat traffic and you see why we only fished at night. The lake is Lewis Smith by the way, known only as Smith Lake by the locals. Could be the ultimate challenge for a flathead tournament.
It is really all about what you are used to. On the remarks about the clay banks, they love those things. The big catches I have been getting lately have all come from down the clay banks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts