Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody else wish they would open Snapper season for the last few days before our lives are ruined??

THIS SUCKS

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are you kidding??Crabtree is probably pumping his fist right now for the win win situation this crap has given him. A, it takes the heat off him for the school yard bully season he set and B more than likely he can use the spill to come back and cancel the season altogether .Coursehe cant take care of his "commercial" interest either I suppose.Probably means he will take the quotas off for them when ever we get an all clear in the distant future.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Since this is going to put a major hurt on the commercial fishing industry in the Gulf, and I suspect a lot of commercial fisherman will go out of business. <span class="Apple-style-span" style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);">It may be a good time to start raising more support to classify and protect Snappers and Groupers as "sport fish" only and not allow any commercial harvest.
It may already be catch and release for the next several years. I'm not sure how the oil or the chemicals used to deal with it are going to affect the edibility of the fish in the first place. I'm not sure is the flesh of the fish will be contaminated for years to come. Hopefully there will be some studies done, or some simple test to do to determine if it's safe to eat once they get the oil spill under control.

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Nothing but gloom and doom here. Wouldn't it be better to wait until all the facts are out before hoisting the hysterical banner? Without regulation for seasons and bag limits we in the Gulf would be in the same boat as the SE Atlantic, no season at all.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would like for them to go ahead and open it now. They can keep it open for the same amount of time but open it early for us to have a chance to catch some before the oil gets to this area.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
correct me if im wrong but didnt LA lift all bag limits for shrimp and shellfish in case the oil ruined the fishery?? wouldnt opening the snapper season early be basically the same thing?? but that would make too much sense...

·
Registered
55 Posts
My thoughts exactly. The way things are looking, I'm glad that the slick has not gotten any closer, but I am not so glib as to believe that the wind can and will not change to a less favorable direction. A snapper or two would not hurt anything!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
<span style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; font-size: 9pt">HELP SAVE THE RED SNAPPER FROM OIL CONTAMINATION:

<span style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; font-size: 9pt">1) Catch as many as you can fit in your livewell.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<span style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; font-size: 9pt">2) Run as fast as you can (safely) once livewell is filled to capacity with ERS (endangered red snapper). Once livewell becomes full, a properly iced fishbox may also be used. However, please keep in mind that these fish will likely not have the same survival rate as fish stored in livewell.

<span style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; font-size: 9pt">3) Once in safe area of your home bay, release all live snapper into bay(belief is that most Florida Bays located in panhandle will be successful in keeping most oil out with equipment such as booms, etc.)<o:p></o:p>

<span style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f5080; font-size: 9pt">Notes: For any red snapper that does not appear to be breathing (swimming upside down) once in the bay, please use a proper venting tool to remove filets and release the remaining head, backbone and tail intact. This should allow most fish to safely swim to bottom and rejuvenate.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> <span style="mso-spacerun: yes">Should any law enforcement attempt to stop your vessel while in route to safe snapper area in bay, inform them that you are voluntarily participating in the ?Save Snapper from Oil Program? by holding your arm up as high as possible with a clenched fist with only your middle finger protruding- this will allow law enforcement to deal with more important violations such as wave runners completely disregarding all USCG maritime rules.<o:p></o:p>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts