Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, I never run with my rods in the gunwale holders where they may get blasted with spray. Spray at 30 kts goes right into even well sealed reels. Second, I frequently spray my line (on the reel spool) with Blakemore Reel Magic. This keeps the reel spool from corroding and makes all line handle easier. (Even the 80# mono I use for bottom fishing)
Third, take a look at the two attached photos of how to rig your rods for running whether or not you chose to keep them in the holders. The left photo definitely ain't the way to do it. The sinker can do a number on the rods and guides. In the 2nd, photo the sinker is locked against the rod's soft foregrip. If you use a longer leader, simply wrap the leader around your reel as needed. Hook your hook above the sinker then tighten down.

I've shown hundreds if not thousands of people how to do this but I still flying, banging sinkers. I wonder how many rods have been destroyed by flying sinkers?

Attachments

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,975 Posts
I've seen boats bristling with bottom rigs in every rod holder, big weight on every one, heading down the interstate.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Rod care

Amen to all those tips. 90% or better of the returns we get on rods is caused by the issues you stated or high sticking. Very seldom is it manufactures defects.

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
Rods broke in the last 14" is high sticking or wrapping the tip around something. Ugly Sticks are awesome, they're old reel seats turned though. Joey sucks. :thumbup: Lisa can catch nice Catfish though!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I am guilty of velcroing my weights against the rods
during transport. Thanks for the tip.
Well if you velcro them against the rod at least they aren't swinging and banging. That's really probably the bigger issue.

I have taken to bringing my leader under the reel and hooking my hook around the base of the first line guide (not the guide itself :no: ) so the weight is down low by the reel and doesn't swing but I like your method better Captken - never occured to me to just use the hook to hold the line itself.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Rods broke in the last 14" is high sticking or wrapping the tip around something. Ugly Sticks are awesome, they're old reel seats turned though. Joey sucks. :thumbup: Lisa can catch nice Catfish though!
Who you calling a ugly stick?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
My rods are in very pristine condition, I never use them...
That's my problem too!

I wax my rods and guides with carnuba wax. It helps keep the salt spray from sitting on the rods. And they get washed off with freshwater after EVERY trip.

The reels get serviced 2-3 times a year with full tear downs and lube jobs. After every trip, they get washed down, sprayed with Ardent Reel Guard, and Corrosion X in all moving parts. I also wax all of the chrome/stainless parts.

All of this keeps all of my stuff looking brand new. Rashed and corroded gear is a pet peeve of mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts