Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked at the size of the spill every day since it happened and it seems that the spill basically doubled in size for the first few days and now it isnt getting any bigger at all, some days it even appeared to get smaller. i may just be a idiot but if it hasnt stopped pumping oil wouldnt that mean that it would steadily increase in size??

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
They've been dumping dispersants on the oil directly where it's leaking out, so a large portion of it is sinking to the bottom of the ocean.

·
Registered
34 Posts
its going back into the water column due to topical spraying of dispersant and deep water injection of it at the site

"BP has continued to spray dispersant underwater to attack the oil before it hits the surface.

Suttles confirmed that the subsea dispersant is the same as that sprayed on the surface.

Suttles said BP was pleased with the results and hoped to have photos that would allow him to assess if the technique is effective.

BP began subsea spraying operations yesterday"

From the article 4th paragraph

http://www.upstreamonline.com/live/article214055.ece

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
S-200 / Microbes are Environmentally safer than detergents / dispersants , and leave NO harmful effects on Flora & Fauna ... WHY are they waiting SO long to try this technique ?? :doh

·
Registered
34 Posts
EPA just approve it 2 days ago. SafeTek USA Announces EPA Approved BP Oil Spill Solution that Literally Eats Oil

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(Free-Press-Release.com) May 3, 2010 -- Ultra-<a class=kLink oncontextmenu="return false;" id=KonaLink0 onmouseover=adlinkMouseOver(event,this,0); style="POSITION: static; text-decoration: underline;! important" onclick=adlinkMouseClick(event,this,0); onmouseout=adlinkMouseOut(event,this,0); href="http://www.free-press-release.com/news-safetek-usa-announces-epa-approved-bp-oil-spill-solution-that-literally-eats-oil-1272930584.html#" target=_top jQuery1273077767035="4"><span class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; font-size: 14px; COLOR: #000000! important; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; POSITION: relative; background-color: transparent">Microbes<span class=preLoadWrap id=preLoadWrap0 style="POSITION: relative">

</a>(tm), a biological/microbe product, has been approved by the EPA and added to the list of approved products for water applications involving oil spills. Having been tested extensively by an Italian university and found to be harmless to plant and animal life and safe for the <span class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; font-size: 14px; COLOR: #000000! important; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; POSITION: relative">environment, the Ultra-Microbes(tm) are added to containers of sea water and mixed. This mixture is then be sprayed onto the ocean surface to immediately start remediating the <span class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; font-size: 14px; COLOR: #000000! important; BORDER-BOTTOM: #000000 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; POSITION: relative; background-color: transparent">oil<span class=preLoadWrap id=preLoadWrap2 style="POSITION: relative"> . <span style="DISPLAY: inline; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; font-size: 12px; COLOR: #666" roundtrip="0" lastVisited="0">The microbes quickly digest the oil as a food source and break it down into carbon, CO2 and a white protein that is basically fish and plant food. The oil becomes non-hazardous, and when all oil is digested the microbes die

full article- http://www.free-press-release.com/news-safetek-usa-announces-epa-approved-bp-oil-spill-solution-that-literally-eats-oil-1272930584.html

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Another reason it's not getting any bigger is that the sun and wave action tend to break it up and evaporate it.
Plus they are continuously out there in boats recovering it offshore since the spill happened. And with the calmer weather forecast it will get even better in the recovery phase.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so is it better to have it diluted on the ocean floor or floating on the surface where it is skimable?? i would assume it would be better to keep it on the surface to be able to get rid of it but if it gets to land, it can cause alot of problems. HOWEVER, even if its diluted wont it eventually make its way to the beaches because of the waves?? i mean, thats how new shells wash up on the beach right? i guess it is really deep out there so maybe that is a plus. i just hate to think of oil sittin on the bottom of the ocean but i guess its the lesser of 2 evils..

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
It's called attenuation. As Sealark pointed out the oil evaporates or breaks down when exposed to the sun and wave action and other natural processes.Here is some quick math...

The last estimate I saw was that it was leaking at a rate of about 200,000 gallons/day. If it has been leaking at this rate for the last 14 days that would equal about 2.8 million gallons or about 375,000 cubic feet (7.48 gal/cubic foot) of oil. If you take that 375,000 cubic feet and spread it out evenly over an area of 200 square miles you would get a thickness of about 0.0008" which is about the thickness of the sheen that you leave when you're zipping along with a2-cycle outboard.

Obviously it is not equally dispersed over the entire area of the plume,but you can see how easily natural forces like sunshine, wind and waves could causeit to attenuate given the area over which it is spreadand why the plume does not seem to be getting any bigger.

Not to mention, that at low concentrations, there are a host of organisims in the water and soil that go to town on it as a food source. If you are worried about petroleum on the ocean floor, read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methane_hydrate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts