Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Why can't I throw a cast net from a boat?

9K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  SHO-NUFF 
#1 ·
Wirelessly posted

Title says it all, I have a 6 foot bait net and I can get it to open just fine when throwing in the grass for practice or off the shore/dock. Take it out in the bay throwing on schools of bait and it's like I'm taking a bunched up cast net and just throwing it at them hoping to knock them out. Anyone else have this problem when they first started throwing from a boat?

#2 ·
Bait-fever, like buck-fever. Relax and slow down the cast. Also remember the net has to have time in air to open. You'll get it. I still throw a banana every once in a while.

#4 ·
I was thinking the same thing. When your on land your not thinking about your footing. when your on the boat for a wile your gonna think about your footing and balance. the land is not moving under you like the boat is. keep it up you will get there!:thumbsup:

#5 ·
Wirelessly posted

Yeah I know I need a bigger net, I will get one soon. Normally I wear flip flops in the boat but yesterday I wore shoes to see if that would help with the balance. I just don't use a cast net enough to justify spending $200 on one. I was thinking a 10' net from Academy or Wally World would suit my bait needs.

#6 ·
Hey, your ahead of me. I cant get one to open 3/4 of the time from land. Never even bothered from a boat. I bought one of those cast net thrower things that clips to your net. It really works! Opens great 19/20 times, but it scares the hell out of the bait! So I still catch nothing... Gave up last year. So I am going to be a total hypocrite and say "Keep at it". haha

#7 ·
Don't throw at the bait throw over them, if I had to guess you see the bait and throw directly at it and your net doesn't have time to open, when you see bait throw in that General direction but throw it in the air. I have the same problem with an 8 and 12 ft net only I throw perfect in the yard or off a dock practicing, I try and aim I'm lucky to get a banana 3/4 s of the time. Now I see bait and just sling the net in the air in that direction and it has helped tremendously.

#8 · (Edited)
+1 bigger net 10' is a good all around net check out Brunsons net company they have a net that throws very well for $100.00 they will even dip the lead line for you. I have one if you wanna check it out. Here is how I throw a net good luck.

#9 ·
From experience, you must take off the button up shirt first!

When you decide to throw a 10 or 12 foot net there is enough weight associated with it, to pull even my fat a$$ overboard when the net has already caught your buttons.

Grr. Bad experience happened once. Never again!

I agree, throw in the direction and not at the bait and all should end better than it has.

Let us know how it works out for you?

#10 ·
Wirelessly posted

Reel Sick said:
+1 bigger net 10' is a good all around net check out Brunsons net company they have a net that throws very well for $100.00 they will even dip the lead line for you. I have one if you wanna check it out. Here is how I throw a net good luck.
I saw that video the beginning of the year and it has worked well for me from dock/shore. I'll just start taking the boat out and throwing till I get it right. And I'll look at those nets, what brand are the 10' nets at Academy?

#11 ·
hjorgan said:
Bait-fever, like buck-fever. Relax and slow down the cast. Also remember the net has to have time in air to open. You'll get it. I still throw a banana every once in a while.
You beat me to it lol. Shouldn't have footing issues with a six foot net unless you're casting from a jon boat or kayak. Nerves are probably the issue here.

Calm down, slow down and make a good cast.

Try this...have a tennis ball at your feet when practicing in the yard. Kick it and try netting it in motion or if ya have kids, tell them to roll it past you while you try to catch it. Now you're not focusing on opening the net but on catching something with the net.

#12 ·
You don't even have to "make up" a 6' or 8' net but when you go to the 10 footers you will have to learn how to make them up to get a good throw all the time.

I throw an 8' net off the dock from my wheelchair but I have been throwing nets a very long time..!!

#14 ·
Release down, not towards the horizon. Remember, your'e higher in a boat. Measure the gunnel height and replicate it on land. Stand on a bucket whatever.
The higher you throw, the net will will be closing more up by the time it hits the water.

#15 ·
Wirelessly posted

So I figured out one of the main reasons of it not opening up. I re-watched the video and instantly realized what I was doing wrong. I was skipping the step of holding the net in my mouth. Whoops...

But that tennis ball idea sounds pretty good, I'm goin to try that!

#19 ·
At least you can throw one. I cant even get mine to land right in the yard. I got fed up with it and packed it away. It has never seen water. Oh well, one of these days I will pull it out and try again.

#20 ·
Wirelessly posted

Breeze said:
At least you can throw one. I cant even get mine to land right in the yard. I got fed up with it and packed it away. It has never seen water. Oh well, one of these days I will pull it out and try again.
I feel ya man, I use it very seldom but when I do it sucks when I can't get what I want. I'm not big on castin for mullet but I might need to if I want to catch big stripers this winter. Not sure if the bait man will have live mullet in February.

#22 ·
If you learn how to throw it wrong, it's a hard habit to break. Kinda like a bad golf swing. When you do it right, throwing becomes more of a toss. And yes, the yard is much different than on a boat. Try and net the dog running around for practice, a moving target.
Find an old Pro and ask for advice.Then practice until you are fed up, and try again the next day. It will finally click and become second nature. You won't even think about it.

I had to totally change my style after being coached by a Master and several years of frustration. End result was throwing a perfect 11 footer off my shoulder, titty deep while wading.
Mr. Alton Boyd that ran Boyd's Radiator service years ago taught me in the parking lot. He was something else with a cast net!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.