Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why bear hunting is good for Florida.
The December, 2019, issue of Woods'nWater Magazine ran a picture of a very happy young man, Logan Padgett Jr. with his trophy bear:Good for Georgia, Good for FloridaDecember, 2019:Follow me on page 39 of Woods'nWater Magazine as we 'Take an in-depth look at why bear hunting is good for Florida'.Per FWC: "Conservation efforts have allowed bear subpopulations to rebound in many parts of Florida. The most common population management for bears, regulated hunting, is used by all states with resident bear populations of over 1000 bears. Florida's black bear population has recovered from an estimated 300 bears in 1970's to over 4,000 bears in 2015."In 2016 the FWC invited a panel of black bear research and management experts from outside Florida to review Florida's bear management and research efforts. Among the panel's conclusions was the re-opening a bear hunt season in Florida was a responsible management approach based on the best available science.The primary objective of regulated hunting is to balance population numbers with suitable habitat and to maintain healthy animals.In 2017 the FWC postponed any decision on bear hunting until an update of the original plan could be completed in 2019. This decision was to include a thorough review of bear population options.And that brings us to October 2019. The 2019 report does not specifically call for a bear hunt. However, of the five options the report includes for controlling the largest populations,*regulated hunting is the only one that gets a positive look,*the others being called too expensive or unproven.We can make a difference. Per Eric Sutton, FWC executive director on hold, another managed bear hunt in Florida is a policy decision.The commission is seeking public comments on the new bear plan. Commissioners are scheduled to discuss the* policy and comments at their meeting Dec. 11-12.We must make sure this is remembered...Of the five options the report includes for controlling the largest populations, organized hunting is the only one that gets a positive look.Thanks to Florida's own Woods'nWater Magazine for representing the sportsmen/women of Florida.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Bob, I attended the last meeting on bear hunting over in Franklin County and I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that there will not be another bear hunt as long as current commissioners are in office. I watched FWC biologists lay out a perfectly logical plan to reduce bear/human conflict which included a hunting season. Commissioners rejected trained wildlife biologist's advice in favor of the "Bear Lives Matter" group's plan. I'm not kidding. They were marching outside with their BLM signs and T-shirts chanting that little mantra. They "testified" in the meeting and commissioners kissed their "feet". I call the commissioners out for what they really are, cowards and traitors to true wildlife management. The Bear Lives Matter group went back to Orlando and Miami victorious, without a clue that they had condemned many hundreds of bears to die because country folks have had it up to their eyeballs with bears that have no fear of man and threaten their children, livestock and property. The commissioners got just what they wanted, they looked good in the Orlando and Miami newspapers and bear complaints are way down. All at the expense of what could be a fine resource instead of a hated nuisance.
Rant over.

Reactions: fla_scout

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,721 Posts
And you're probably not far from the truth on that. Was 2 buck a day per season, now it's 5 deer total a season. Might be 1 a few seasons down the road.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
And you're probably not far from the truth on that. Was 2 buck a day per season, now it's 5 deer total a season. Might be 1 a few seasons down the road.

I’ve been to a number of these meetings in zone D regarding the proposed changes. I even sat on the technical advisory group prior to the changes instituted in zone d. Never for a moment was there any mention of there being any type of attack on the future of deer hunting in Florida. Not a single protestor was present inside or outside of any of the meetings in marianna and there were at least three of them. The changes were made based on input from phone and internet surveys as well as input at various commission meetings on the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts