Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
lol now that wouldve been funny. u got me wondering now how fast michaela averages in her tarpon 140, i know she can outrun a pa12 all day long.
Thought I would be a smart a-- and get you to look it up. There actually is one for android at least by iridesign.com for $1.29. I'll just keep using my freebee. :D

·
Senior Yakker
2,768 Posts
johnf said:
While I'm thinking about it, when I was really pushing it sometimes I could feel what I think may have been the face of my paddle flexing. It's a $45 Carlisle Daytripper from academy sports. Is that possible? Will better paddles do that? I'm thinking with a stronger paddle I might be able to get more speed, or would that just be overkill?
Certainly a possibility. My Hobie paddle is pathetic. I can't push off from shore with it. A better paddle couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
While I'm thinking about it, when I was really pushing it sometimes I could feel what I think may have been the face of my paddle flexing. It's a $45 Carlisle Daytripper from academy sports. Is that possible? Will better paddles do that? I'm thinking with a stronger paddle I might be able to get more speed, or would that just be overkill?
Look at paddle length too. Make sure its right for your style of paddling. I use a short carbon fiber paddle. The OK is skinny enough to get away with it and I use shorter faster strokes.

And the OK runs faster than my buddy in his Outback with turbo fins but not his wife's Revo 13.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Look at paddle length too. Make sure its right for your style of paddling. I use a short carbon fiber paddle. The OK is skinny enough to get away with it and I use shorter faster strokes.

And the OK runs faster than my buddy in his Outback with turbo fins but not his wife's Revo 13.
I do find myself dunking the whole paddle 6" under the drink sometimes. I almost got a kid paddle that was about 8" shorter than mine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I do find myself dunking the whole paddle 6" under the drink sometimes. I almost got a kid paddle that was about 8" shorter than mine.
Go to a demo day and find one that fits for sure. No point on wasted energy. The body lean alone could be putting the stress on you trying to stay stable.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Not a lot of Demo days in the middle of Arkansas. ;)
i know everyone is different but michaela and i just went paddle shopping the other day and found out that big stiff blades just make us work more, best paddle we tried (if you're after low effort combined with speed) is definitely the aquabound with the stingray or eagleray blade shape, and yes they flex.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts