Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got my first yak last year, a used 10' pescador, and just kind of puttered around an fished in it a bit. I sold it last fall and bought a 12" clone of the Scrambler XT because I wanted something a little better for going out into the big water when I came down there. I've been trying to get into shape for coming down there so the last couple weeks I've been trying to build up for some heavier paddling. Last night I went out on our local lake and paddled pretty hard for 3 miles straight, half of which was directly into a 10mph head wind. I averaged about 4mph with a top speed of 4.8 for the trip, via a jogging app on my phone. I expected my arms and shoulders to be killing me today, but they aren't. I feel like like I've used them, but they aren't hurting at all. My legs however feel like I've run a marathon. Why do they hurt and my arms don't. Am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
628 Posts
It may not seem like your using them but taking balancing, it does work your legs. It did for me when I use to canoe a lot but I was also younger then so it wasn't a big deal. now that I am older, I bet it would.lol I may be wrong though.:D

·
Registered
586 Posts
What part of your legs?

Exercises like squats, dead lifts, romanian dead lifts and lunges, will really strengthen you quads (thighs) and glutes (butt) add in some core work like mason twists, crunchy frogs and pulse ups and you will be able to do everything including fishing better. One more that burns a lot of fat and work most everything would be burpees.

You can see how to do these at cross fit or men's health

Exercise is the wonder drug

·
Registered
48 Posts
A head wind in my Scrambler kills my hip flexors and inner thighs. Like stated before balancing and using your hips to keep the yak tracking takes a toll.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it sounds like I'm hurting in the right places then. ;)

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
My legs dont hurt but they feel like jello after pedaling my Mariner hard. I thunk Contender is onto something.

·
Wicked Awesome
2,254 Posts
What part of your legs?

Exercises like squats, dead lifts, romanian dead lifts and lunges, will really strengthen you quads (thighs) and glutes (butt) add in some core work like mason twists, crunchy frogs and pulse ups and you will be able to do everything including fishing better. One more that burns a lot of fat and work most everything would be burpees.

You can see how to do these at cross fit or men's health

Exercise is the wonder drug

I love doing burpees! That is one of my favorite exercises. You are right on with these exercises. :thumbsup: As well as the crunchy frogs, you can do bicycles. The mason twist is another of my favorites. Great choices, Contender! O*D*W

·
Senior Yakker
2,768 Posts
rufus1138 said:
cant you just yak more? you're obviously getting the workout there......
True dat. My "hobie muscles" hurt bad when I first switched from paddling yaks. A few weekly trips, and they haven't hurt since...unless I take a month or so off from fishing. That don't happen though.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cant you just yak more? you're obviously getting the workout there......
Wasn't really asking about exercises, just why my legs and hind end hurt. I figure if they are tired then I've worked them out. If I keep this up I'm thinking I'll be in good shape. I've got a bad back and my dr. told me not to ever run unless I'm being chased. I do walk every other day. It's only 1.5 miles, but I live at the bottom of a hill and have a 480 yard hill that goes up 180'. It's a pretty decent work out. Sometimes I do it with my son on my shoulders. Not too bad for a 44 year old chubby boy.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
lol now that wouldve been funny. u got me wondering now how fast michaela averages in her tarpon 140, i know she can outrun a pa12 all day long.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
While I'm thinking about it, when I was really pushing it sometimes I could feel what I think may have been the face of my paddle flexing. It's a $45 Carlisle Daytripper from academy sports. Is that possible? Will better paddles do that? I'm thinking with a stronger paddle I might be able to get more speed, or would that just be overkill?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts