Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago, my oldest son Clay and I were watchingESPN Outdoors on Sat. Morning, and the show that Mark Sosin is Host of, Mark Sosin's Outdoor Journalcame on. We watched it forjust a few minutes before Clay asked me if I would like to fish with him? I replied, No, why? Clay said, "I don't think I would either, he doesn't look like he would be fun to fish with". I agreed with Clay, and told him that a good fishing buddy is very hard to replace. This really made me think.

The person I most enjoy fishing with is Greg Williams. Greg and I have known each other for most of our lives and fished together for most of our lives as well. Years ago we started reading the IGFA book and targeting Line Class World Record Fish on 2,4 and 6# line classes. We caught some but nothing incredibly outstanding in ratio of fish weight to line classs, most were just vacant species in a line class. Regardless, I learned how valuable a great fishing buddy/partner is by doing this with Greg. Hooking a 30# Redfish on 2 or 4# line and having a chance to land it requires more than one person.If I were the one that got lucky enough to be the one to hook up on a good fish, Greg would go into support mode and seem to be automatic about clearing the boat and then running/poleing or driving the boat exactly as I would want it without me saying a word. It seriously was like he done things to help me as if he was the one hooked up, without me saying a word. Sure we communicated through any fish fight, but most of the time it was not in an urgent manner and normally Greg would do things before I could say anything anyway. If I ever had a Million Dollar Fish on I would pick him to be one in the boat with me over anyone. I tried to provide the same support for him when he was hooked up, although I have never asked him how well I have done.Heis not onlyone of the greatest fishermen I have everknown,he also is just plain great to be on the water with.

I have fished with Greg countless times, and would pick him over Mark Sosin 10 to 1. Who and what makes a great fishing buddy to you?

·
Registered
261 Posts
ME! I must say I've always been a loner, even since I was a tot. Of course I have good friends I love to fish with. I'd say Corpsman and Last Chance are my best fishin buds (and Diving!)- huh what do you know- both are on the fishing forum.

I like fishing by myself- I love the solitude. I can gather my thoughts, forget my problems and kinda re-direct my efforts. I've also found I work better and I'm a better Dad after I've gone fishing. Like I said, fishing gets my back to neutral.

Another think I like about fishing with myself- I can count on me, I can pick up and move when I want to, I can leave/quit when I want, and I don't spend a lot of cash on tackle. I usually catch and release cuz I'm lazy and don't want to clean a fish just for me and the wife.

Every year for the past 11 years (except when Katrina came), I've taken the wife and the kids camping in the Smokies. My wife lets me have a day to myself so I can go explore some trails. Last year, I hiked 16 miles from Clingman's Dome to the campsite, with about 5-6 miles of it on the Appalachian Trail.

Then again, I really like fishin with anybody- hell I'll fish with anyone from Mister T to PeeWee Herman! Just get me fishin!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Garbo, once again you've started a great thread to provoke thought.

I have 2 people that I would have in the boat with me anytime. One is my hunting buddy Nick Barnard because our wives get along great, and this gives us plenty of time in the boat or wading back in the bay. He is also a great person to be around. When we're not chasing our personal best and there's no high stress of what we need to land, he and I have some of the most insightful conversations I've had at any point in my life. In fact, it was one night poling along in the Santa Rosa Sound on his Carolina Skiff that I made the final decision that I was in fact going to marry the girl I was dating. Because I am newly married, and he has been married almost 7 years now, he often has good advice for me. And for his fishing ability, he is always in the right spot to assist me when im fighting a fish. I can't remember the last time I've asked or suggested to him to move the boat, or have the cooler ready for me to flop a gigged flounder into. Things are automatic and non-stressful.

Another person I love to fish with, is a member here, Brant Peacher. Brant and I fished many many afternoons and and summers on the Navarre Pier together. Since our pier has blown down, we only get an occasional opportunity to fish together, but when we do, it is one of the most enjoyable trips each time we go. I respect his fishing knowledge (as he comes from a family full of great fishermen i.e. Clay and Mike Peacher whom I respect just as much as Brant) so anytime I want to target a new personal best on a line class, Brant is who I want to fish with. It is also nice to have someone who you could fish with in just about any circumstance.He has spent countless hours in the local bays and rivers, but is still a better offshore fisherman than anyone I know our age, and it's nice to have someone in the boat with experience in all types of fishing when if there is something big on the line.

Garbo, thanks again for starting a great thread. I don't really mind much either way if this thread sparks a lot of responses or not. But I am glad that it gave me a few minutes to really appreciate my fishing buddies and write it out.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I have fished for years with my brother and enjoy our little bitch about everything/fish sessions but if it really came down it I would have to say my wife. We joke and give each other a hard time about who is catching more or bigger. When it comes down to it we both have the same agenda and I get just as excited watching her catch one and she holds her own weight and baits her own hook. And when the day is over where else can you find a fishing buddy that will clean the fish, cook the fish and you get to sleep with later. :)

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nb&twil (11/27/2007)Garbo, once again you've started a great thread to provoke thought.

I have 2 people that I would have in the boat with me anytime. One is my hunting buddy Nick Barnard because our wives get along great, and this gives us plenty of time in the boat or wading back in the bay. He is also a great person to be around. When we're not chasing our personal best and there's no high stress of what we need to land, he and I have some of the most insightful conversations I've had at any point in my life. In fact, it was one night poling along in the Santa Rosa Sound on his Carolina Skiff that I made the final decision that I was in fact going to marry the girl I was dating. Because I am newly married, and he has been married almost 7 years now, he often has good advice for me. And for his fishing ability, he is always in the right spot to assist me when im fighting a fish. I can't remember the last time I've asked or suggested to him to move the boat, or have the cooler ready for me to flop a gigged flounder into. Things are automatic and non-stressful.

Another person I love to fish with, is a member here, Brant Peacher. Brant and I fished many many afternoons and and summers on the Navarre Pier together. Since our pier has blown down, we only get an occasional opportunity to fish together, but when we do, it is one of the most enjoyable trips each time we go. I respect his fishing knowledge (as he comes from a family full of great fishermen i.e. Clay and Mike Peacher whom I respect just as much as Brant) so anytime I want to target a new personal best on a line class, Brant is who I want to fish with. It is also nice to have someone who you could fish with in just about any circumstance.He has spent countless hours in the local bays and rivers, but is still a better offshore fisherman than anyone I know our age, and it's nice to have someone in the boat with experience in all types of fishing when if there is something big on the line.

Garbo, thanks again for starting a great thread. I don't really mind much either way if this thread sparks a lot of responses or not. But I am glad that it gave me a few minutes to really appreciate my fishing buddies and write it out.
Awesome Post Will. Incredible Read. Thanks for Sharing.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I would say my dad because if there is a fish out there he can catch it, weather its salt water, fresh water, or a pond. We have caught crappie on bed in Ala. by pulling over bever dams off the river, catfish on jugs, 400 blue gill in lake marian in 5 days, Bass up the creek, snapper, grouper, dolphin & kings in the gulf, the list just goes on. 2nd would be my son only because he's still young & i spend alot of not fishing time undoing bird nest & snags, but to hear my son say " get the net & help me people, help me" is good stuff. I could write about these good time all day, thanks for bringing back the memories.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I would have to say it is my son. We surf fish, wade the creek & fish, bass fish, (he likes taking his bass boat, it is faster than mine) & offshore fish. This year we had a joint venture of a 1997 Wellcraft 220CC center console.

Boating buddy ?? it is my wife, likes fishing a little, riding, trolling. She is very nice looking & gets a sun tan in bathing suit on rear fishing platform while I fish. Plus she looks better in a bathing suit than my son does,,,

·
Registered
150 Posts
Without a doubt it's my son. He's 18 now and we've been at it since he was 4....lot's of great memories moving up from the first bream on a cricket to bull reds.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Well I'd have to say my best fishin partner is my Bro. That is when he leaves his old lady at the house we always have unbelievable luck when it's just the 2 of us. My Pops taught ushow to fish and we been at it for over 40 years plus. Mybest 1st mate on the boat is got to be my cousin Chuck. He's always on time, chips up on gas, bait and he knows how work as a team on a small boat in blue water. It takes two guys in sync to make it happen on big fish offshore. Thanks Randy & Chuckie!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have two my Uncle James who took me fishing all the time when I was a little kid. He pretty much taught me how to fish insaltwater. Its nice now that I have a boat and can return the favor taking him out all the time. Its also a big help that he is so organized. He always tackle for anything we come across, brings sandwiches, ice, drinks and lots of other things. I feel like I am going to forget something when he's not there. The other would be my best buddy Duayne. He is always ready to go fishing wether its off the bank or in the boat he just loves to fish. When the two of us fish together weoften come up with a new trick to fool the fish, or find a new spot that is loaded with fish. I like it best when I can take both of them. Just like mentioned above, everybody just knows what to do and doesn't need to be asked. We all have 4 important things in common: 1-We all like to stay out all day and into the night because we love to fish and it cost the same if you fish a half day or you fish all day. 2-We all want to fill the box before we come back. We usually do it too because when the fishing is slow we all pay attention to what everybody is fishing for and constantly switch it up. Meaning that if one of us is fishing for Grouper, then one of usfor Snapper, one for AJ orone for Mingo's/Triggers. That way we can find out what is bitting and that makes it a lot easier to fill the box. 3-We all like to clean fish and get all the meat possible off the fish and we even save a lot of the scraps for chum/bait. 4-We love to cook and eat fish. We work together as a team cooking the fish just as we do on the boat catching them. When I cook without them I end up doing it all on my own because I dont know what to tell other people to do, I am use to them just knowing what to do and doing it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
my buddy b-rad. we always catch fish, we always have beer, we always have a damn good time. and theres always something to go wrong, which makes a good story for the girlfriend when we get home..

·
Super Moderator
12,842 Posts
MR.STAAL (11/27/2007)my buddy b-rad. we always catch fish, we always have beer, we always have a damn good time. and theres always something to go wrong, which makes a good story for the girlfriend when we get home..
he was my fishing buddy first!:moon

·
Registered
958 Posts
I wont have the opportunity to fish with my best buddy. Spencer Kristian Bourgeois :angelmy son passed away 7/9/01 he was 22 months old. He would just now be getting into it hard core. I miss the opportunity to have him in the boat with me. My dad and my younger brothers 13 and 10 are my next choices. They enjoy being out in the boat everytime they get a chance and are always welcome to come with me!!!

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Man I have to many to list...haha. It's the T pier crew....Yankee, Yankee 2, Surfstryker, Crazyfire, and Scott. When a fish is on, everybody knows what to do and how to do it. Yankee always has bait (mullet slayer), surfstryker always has a victory cigar, jeff has beer, Scott has rum, and we all have a good time!

Damn, now I want to go fishing!!!!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
my dad was ALWAYS my best fishing buddy. Back in the 70's when we had the charter boat we spent days upon days working and fishing with each other. He taught me more than I can remember and forgot more than I ever knew about fishing. I lost him in 1983 and he has never been replaced. Even with my son being close to 15 now and I can't fish without my dad's memories. Love ya pop..........

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
It has to be my Grandfather "Buddy". He taught me everything I know about floundering and provided me with the little bit of patience I have. He is hell of a castnet throwerand used to go and slay the specks.

Thanks Buddy.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I would have to say there are many people i enjoy fishing with. Some have lots of experience and others are green. I get just as much satisfaction over landing a big fish with guys that know what they are doing as i do with somebody who is new to the sport and catch their first fish utilizing a technique that they have never tried before.

There are two people in particular that stand out, my dad and my buddy Don. I grew up freshwater fishing with my dad. We spent countless hours chasing bass, bluegill, shell cracker, crappie, you name it. He dabbled in saltwater a couple of times but never got the bug. We still manage to get out a few times a year, but with my family and work, time always seems to be an issue.

The other is my buddy Don. We started working together in 2001 and he is like a brother to me now. We were sitting around one night drinking beer and decided that we would start doing more fishing. We began wade fishing in Santa Rosa Sound and fishing 3mile in the evenings. Ivan came through and need i say more...... We had been trying to get Dons dad to come out on the bridge and fish with us but after Ivan, sensing our frustration he purchased a 22' trophy so we would have something to fish with. We beat that poor boat too death. I would honestly say we were out sometimes when we shouldn't have been. To make a long story shorter, after his dad figured out this wasn't just a phase, he sold the trophy, bought a 290 coastal Wellcraft, and we have been fishing as much as possible ever since. I would never had been able to experience the thrill of offshore fishing if it wasn't for Don and his dad. It has been a tremendous learning experience and I have a son now that is 6months old and i cant wait to take him out.

Nick

1 - 20 of 39 Posts