Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a young guy with a seriously loose screw who comes down to Sanders beach, jumps off the dock and swims way off, sometimes across the boat channel, with boats going both ways.

He did it today and wound up across the channel swimming around the first green daymarker, sometimes clinging to it.

Called the marine patrol number...no answer.
Called the Sheriff's department, asked if they had any marine assets out today and explained what was going on
They transferred me to Pensacola police.
They transferred.me to the Coast Guard...no answer there, either.

Who the hell do you call in a situation like that?

·
Super Moderator
28,373 Posts
I use to swim across a point down there by the front gate of NAS... If he does it frequently, don't worry about it....natural selection.

·
eating tasty
3,747 Posts
Plenty of folks leaving the oar house or anxious to get to the pass leaving mahogany mill after going through all that no wake zone drop the hammer WOT right there. He’s gonna die.

When you say you called marine patrol you mean FWC? Call the illegal fish violations number and you’ll probably get someone.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Was it the number 7 day marker? We were offshore today and heard the Coast Guard asking someone if they see any one hanging onto the no. 7 day marker.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Thats probably the only thing he was doing wrong, hanging onto the buoy. Let him do his thing. I look back on my young years, luckily I am still alive. Many times I have been called crazy. Still do.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats probably the only thing he was doing wrong, hanging onto the buoy. Let him do his thing. I look back on my young years, luckily I am still alive. Many times I have been called crazy. Still do.
Knowing that he is mentally off and not taking any action would make me feel guilty if he drowns or gets hit by a boat. There is a fine line between being young, dumb and bulletproof and being young and mentally off, especially swimming in a boat channel with boats running in and out at WOT.

Reactions: murfpcola

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Knowing that he is mentally off and not taking any action would make me feel guilty if he drowns or gets hit by a boat. There is a fine line between being young, dumb and bulletproof and being young and mentally off, especially swimming in a boat channel with boats running in and out at WOT.
How do you know he is mentally off?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How do you know he is mentally off?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I've talked to him multiple times. Talking to him is like talking to a 6 year old. Yesterday, 2 boats literally used their boats to shield him when he swam back across the boat channel. We've told him about to bull sharks staying in the area and he says he has the ability to pet sharks and talk to them. He claims to be blind, then comments on an osprey hunting 100 yards off the dock.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts