Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<SPAN lang=EN>

An excerpt from ?Understanding Fisheries Management? a publication of Auburn University and the University of Mississippi, the Auburn University Marine Extension and Research Center, the Mississippi-Alabama Sea Grant Legal Program, and the Mississippi Law Research Institute pursuant to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Award.

(The views expressed herein are those of the authors, including Dr Robert Shipp.)

?Fish living in public waters are a common property resource. The government has the responsibility of managing the fish for the benefit of all citizens, <U>even those who do not fish.</U>

So who owns the fish? <U>You do ? along with the other 275 million citizens of the U.S. </U>In order for all to benefit from this renewable resource, the fish are managed using some basic principles.

When a fish stock cannot support the unregulated harvest by more than one group of fishermen, it becomes necessary to allocate the catch among the groups. This is not a biological decision but a political, social, and economic decision <U>often based on the historical landings for each group.?</U>

At the end of 2008, approx 847,000 individuals purchased a Fla salt water fishing license, including visitors. That equates to approx 5% of Florida?s population. The commercial and charter sectors provide access to this public resource for 95% of Floridians. As long as the resource is sustainable the public should have access, they (we) own the resource.

The commercial red snapper IFQ program is proving to be a success. A primary reason is the sector can effectively account for fish harvested. It seems to me charter wants to be given their fair share of the TAC (based on historical catch) and have the opportunity to manage their quota which includes accounting for fish harvested.

Everyone benefit if we effectively manage the resource.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
LB

explain to me how areduction in therecreational fishing seasonand harvesting opportunity (limited season/creel)for private boat owning citizens like me whowant to catch and keep red snapper would benefit me personally?

I know as acommercial fisherman it would benefit you personally.

Mark W

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I didn't read any of the jibberish that larry wrote, never do. but I'll say that everyone owns the fish, the question is...should a select few beable to harvest a resource that belongs to everyone and then sell it to make a profit without ever giving anything back to the resource?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Excellent point, The reason they can do it so easily is that no one yet has been able to get enough rec fisherman together as a group to complain. It's either numbers or dollars. We don't have the Organized numbers, and they have the dollars.

·
Registered
490 Posts
markw4321 (9/30/2009)LB

explain to me how a reduction in the recreational fishing seasonand harvesting opportunity (limited season/creel)for private boat owning citizens like me who want to catch and keep red snapper would benefit me personally?

I know as a commercial fisherman it would benefit you personally.

Mark W

What LB has here is fed record and is a guide for operating procedure.

It would not help you Mark: This letter is One of the factors sos has figured in.

If the economic decision was made al recs would be cutoff.

That is why sos was put together

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
capt.eugene (9/30/2009)[hrIf the economic decision was made al recs would be cutoff.

That is why sos was put together
Huh? If it was strictly economic, there would be no commercial harvest. As proven in the grouper fishery, economic benefits of recreational fishing outweigh commercial better than 3 to 1 I believe.

And please don't lie to me about SOS being put together to help protect the rec sector.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Now I am a lier Joe Z

you don't now me so you don't now that i have stomped some a - - over that word and my name in the same sentience. retract that please.

Who will you fish with if it is closed.:looser:looser

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Sorry you take offense to being called a liar but the SOS is in no way a boost to the rec sector. Maybe you were told it was or maybe you think we should be happy with a sliver of what our "historical catch" is to borrow a term from your sector but we're not nor should we be.

You know as well as I do that this all boils down to getting better data in all sectors and then we (rec, charter and commercial) can show them there are plenty of fish in the sea.

If we could stick to this fight, we'd get somewhere. As it stands now, the NMFS and commerical sector have acheived their goals and fractured the rec and charter relationship who once were a team.

As to with whom I would fish if there is a rec closure, any boat that's not on the SOS support list. That or move on to another species, I do like redfish.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
capt.eugene (9/30/2009)As is. If the rec is closed so are all charter boats.:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:looser:hoppingmad
I apologize, sometimes it's hard to keep up with you.

If it's closed, it's closed. I'd rather go down swinging and prove my point than lick boots to get a paltry TAC.

Even if I lose, I'd rather know I fought the good fight.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Hell I say we seperate and close the charter sector and allow the rec to continue fishing.

Everyone wants to get theirs eugene, I want mine just as bad as you want yours

·
Registered
310 Posts
Everyone has an opinion and mine is no one individual or group owns the fish and that if harvest of a speices needs to be regulated there should be no commerical harvest, if you want to eat it then go catch it.

Deer were almost obsolete 3 or 4 decades ago, today their damn near a nusinace in some areas. I own the land, pay the taxes, the upkeep and feed the deerbut don't own the deer and the state tells me if, when and how i can shoot one.

JoeZ. i think the rec/commercial ratio is much higher than 3 to 1.

KP

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
lbhuntley (9/30/2009)<SPAN lang=EN>

An excerpt from ?Understanding Fisheries Management? a publication of Auburn University and the University of Mississippi, the Auburn University Marine Extension and Research Center, the Mississippi-Alabama Sea Grant Legal Program, and the Mississippi Law Research Institute pursuant to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Award.

(The views expressed herein are those of the authors, including Dr Robert Shipp.)

?Fish living in public waters are a common property resource. The government has the responsibility of managing the fish for the benefit of all citizens, <U>even those who do not fish.</U>

So who owns the fish? <U>You do ? along with the other 275 million citizens of the U.S. </U>In order for all to benefit from this renewable resource, the fish are managed using some basic principles.

When a fish stock cannot support the unregulated harvest by more than one group of fishermen, it becomes necessary to allocate the catch among the groups. This is not a biological decision but a political, social, and economic decision <U>often based on the historical landings for each group.?</U>

At the end of 2008, approx 847,000 individuals purchased a Fla salt water fishing license, including visitors. That equates to approx 5% of Florida?s population. The commercial and charter sectors provide access to this public resource for 95% of Floridians. As long as the resource is sustainable the public should have access, they (we) own the resource.

The commercial red snapper IFQ program is proving to be a success. A primary reason is the sector can effectively account for fish harvested. It seems to me charter wants to be given their fair share of the TAC (based on historical catch) and have the opportunity to manage their quota which includes accounting for fish harvested.

Everyone benefit if we effectively manage the resource.
<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl20_lblFullMessage><SPAN style="COLOR: #333399">LB Huntley,<P class=MsoNormal style="BACKGROUND: white; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto"><SPAN style="COLOR: #333399"><P class=MsoNormal style="BACKGROUND: white; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto"><SPAN style="COLOR: #333399">Based on Public Trust Doctrine, NMFS allocates recreational and commercial fishing activity under the law (Magnuson Act). Under Public Trust if you have a license and a permit, you can fish as allowed under the NMFS regulation. Currently anybody can participate in the fishery.Those fish are held in the public trust, and the NMFS merely manages the Total Allowable Catch or TAC. Not so under recent IFQ proposals from NMFS, which would set up an auction system so percentage and poundage levels could be purchased by private concerns (corporate). In essence corporations could be gifted with public resources while they laugh all the way to the bank. <P class=MsoNormal style="BACKGROUND: white; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto"><SPAN style="COLOR: #333399"><P class=MsoNormal style="BACKGROUND: white; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto"><SPAN style="COLOR: #333399">Additionally, with IFQ'senviro groups couldpurchase IFQ's or ITQ allotments and then simply not use them, so as to "save the fish." <P class=MsoNormal style="BACKGROUND: white; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto"><SPAN style="COLOR: #333399"><P class=MsoNormal style="BACKGROUND: white; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto"><SPAN style="COLOR: #333399">Privatizing the oceans for economic reasons is a very dangerous concept. <P class=MsoNormal style="BACKGROUND: white; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto"><SPAN style="COLOR: #333399"><P class=MsoNormal style="BACKGROUND: white; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto"><SPAN style="COLOR: #333399">It appears you have a well developed case of tunnel-vision to sooth your conscience.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><P class=MsoNormal style="BACKGROUND: white; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto"><SPAN style="COLOR: #333399"><P class=MsoNormal style="BACKGROUND: white; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto"><SPAN style="COLOR: #333399">Cheers, <o:p></o:p><P class=MsoNormal style="BACKGROUND: white; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto"><SPAN style="COLOR: #333399"><o:p></o:p><P class=MsoNormal style="BACKGROUND: white; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto"><SPAN style="COLOR: #333399">Mark W <o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
KPTN (9/30/2009)Everyone has an opinion and mine is no one individual or group owns the fish and that if harvest of a speices needs to be regulated there should be no commerical harvest, if you want to eat it then go catch it.

Deer were almost obsolete 3 or 4 decades ago, today their damn near a nusinace in some areas. I own the land, pay the taxes, the upkeep and feed the deerbut don't own the deer and the state tells me if, when and how i can shoot one.

JoeZ. i think the rec/commercial ratio is much higher than 3 to 1.

KP
If the fishing industry keeps going the way it's going I'll probably just sell my boat and use the money to deer hunt more. I'm just the little guy and what I've seen the commercial industry and their bought politicians do to the recreational fishing industry is sick. It was sure fun trying to explain to my son this summer why the Red Snapper could only be caught 2 months out of a 12 month year, what bullshit. Red snapper were all over the place so lets get the recreational guys out of the way so we can make some money. My last post on this topic, it just makes my blood boil. :hoppingmad

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
This reminds me of the 911 call where the guy asks.

Tell me, Who gets (owns)the deer (fish ) Me or the dog. LOL!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
What is a bloody?

I just saw the THREAD title : WHO OWNS THE FISH

and I thought of

WHO GETS THE DEER.

Funniest 911 call I have ever heard.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts