Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've built my own for the past 5yrs ,and have had some great sucess,theirs no greater pleasure than creating lures and catching fish with them.Our favorite testing waters,are off St.Joe.last years big fish (pomp) 6# still short of the record ,but lots of FUN.So to anwser the question on, Who makes the best pomp jigs ? ME:clap

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I personally do not judge a good jig on how many fish it catches...I no most of you will not agree with me....I judge goodtackle on how well they are selling in retail storesaround the state.Therefore, I can say with great confidence, that connor has sold more pompano jigs than any other custom pompanojig maker in this area. I no this because I call on tackle dealers all over the stateandconnorsjigsare the only ones I see in stores.Therefore...one could say he does have the best jig around??

As far as the arguement of him tieing 40,000 jigs a year....the answer is yes and no. Yes he has made 40,000 jigs a year. No he doesn't do every jig himself. He is in a little different situation than most custom jig makers. He actually made a product and marketed it correctly and now it is selling in tackle stores all over. So...Even if Connor's jigs do not catch the most fish...I would much rather be making Connors jigs than any other custom jig in this area. He is putting money in his pocket!!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Nicely done Brant. Way to put a different perspective into the mix.

Couldn't ask anything more out of Connor. Takes care of his school, activities, all the little 13 year old girls in GUlf Shores, and makes badass pomp jigs. The kid has got it going on.I don't pomp fish much, but I did sitefish a 25in red with a crab jig of his last year. That was cool!

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
Freespool (2/11/2010)The one thing I think sperates a coon dog or danny jig from a Connor jig is Consistancy. Im sure some of the good looking Connor jigs catch fish it just seems like you have to pick through the rack alot of times to find a nice one. Some are missing half the hair or have a big drip of epoxy on the head etc. The fish may not care but I just throw what I have confidence in like everyone has said. I too would love to see connor tying at the outcast seminar
Sounds like you need to give the seminar at Outcast then, maybe we can talk Tommy into letting you set up a booth in the front and you can show all of us what not to do and how to tie a pompano jig. Hell Ill buy you all the stuff to do it. Interested?

·
Registered
41 Posts
How many times these pompano jig makers win the Gulf Breeze Pompano Tournament? That is were the rubber meets the road, (isn't it)?? Real simple -- The Pompano jigs that have caught the biggest pompano within the tournament and/or the most back to back tournaments won will reveal the jigs that produce and win. Right?

·
Registered
41 Posts
The old Herters molds are good and have withstood the test of time. I think the (coon dog Jigs use the Herter's mold) (old school) However, in case you have not been paying attention,, things have changed, there is a lot of good components out there these days. The problem is that there is really no way to work several jigs in front of a pompano so he can compare and choose the jigs within a true side by side comparison. Who cares who likes one jig better than another.. They will not be munching on them. I know a good friend of mine that is a Pompano that I speak with most every Spring and he tells me that the jigs that I use are the best.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts