Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=smalltxt vAlign=top><SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl29_lblFullMessage>Well there it is again,another train wreck of a tread! Personally I'm not much of a pompano fisherman(can't seem to make it past the bar on the beach)and have only caught them purely by accident but I do know a thing or 2 about lures. I own several Connor pompano jigs,WillieJoe Cobia jigs,some made by the Legend Frank Helton,the "Man" as Dylan put it and 1 made by Smart Dave(I miss that kid)and they are all well thought out. I've only seen Bens jigs here on the forum but they do look good but if ya can't throw one or present it to a fish in order to provoke a strike it doesn't matter who made it,what it looks like or crap like that. Presentation is everything no matter what your fishing for.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
that is exactly how i feel, any lure will catch fish put it has to be on the rod of someone that know what to do

·
Registered
807 Posts
ok it seems as though when i posted my thread about how many jigs can connor tie in an hour...this was taken as an attack on connor. NO this was far from the truth! I do not attack children...wait only if the child is an adult...lol!

i simple wanted to know and splittine responded with a lot of good detailed information. now knowing this i wanted to have connor appear with me in my seminar on the last day of outcast fishing sale. he may or he may not...this will be up to connor.

so please stop any kind of assault on connor and his jig tying. i am sure if you had conversation with him you would know the scope and size of his project.

also based on the info presented by splittine it is a family project where everybody puts in time for a successful out come...which is what all families should be doing...working together!

as for the person who may have read more into what i had written...please remember if you do not hear the person's voice or see them in the physical sense when communicating written messages you can quickly be very mistaken in what you are reading and what they are communicating.

it is getting harder and harder to discuss simple topics anymore on this site!

happy valentine...tight lines and great fishing adventures!

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
man I wish I knew how to fish a jig. How pathetic is this? I've never thrown a jig and i've never caught a pomp. I need to learn this since I live so close to the beach.

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,258 Posts
Well stated Wes. I hope Connor decides to do the seminar with ya,it would be nice to finally meet him. Is Donnie gonna be there with his beach backpack again?

·
Fishing Goddess
1,072 Posts
all i got to say is "curtis, you had to see this train wreck coming"...pier rats:banghead j/k:poke...i was one back in the 70's...

mike

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
That would be awesome if he could do that at Outcast! Id want to talk to him about some brown and blue like crab pattern redfish jigs..I saw one of his like that and had to have it..Sight fished a slot red in the surf with it..Ive always heard awesome things about his flounder jigs..Jig fishing is the best

·
Registered
257 Posts
i also have a couple of jigs from garbos son um i would like to try pomp this year for the first time on a jig but have no idea how to fish them any help guys?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have fished with Coon Dog jigs for over 35 years but I also like to support Conner because of his youth, (and his jigs seem to do the trick as well). Jig fishing for pompano is more about weight, presentation, and color. On a stiff south wind, you had better be using at least a 5/8oz jig or your lure will be skimming along the surface. When sight fishing, I like to throw my jig about 6-8ft. in front of the pompano and let the jig sink to the bottom and give it a pretty hard jerk and then let it settle again. I like any cream/sandflea colored head, backed with orange, pink, or even a chartruese tail. Sometimes you can be more successful if you add a sand flea or tiny piece of peeled shrimp to the back of the jig. In late summer and into the fall, I have had better luck switching to a white jig and fishing the west side of the pier instead of the east like we do in the spring.

·
Registered
209 Posts
every jig that is made suits somebody, thats why there or so many on the market.when i started making jigs the only jig was the no alibi everybody swore by it.and i used it for awhile .but i had this mold that i used in ma to catch stripers with and made up a few and they worked .it was an awful looking thing but it caught cobia. as someone mentioned before when they hungry they will eat anything.i make my own pompano jig that doeswnt look like none on the market, its cheap and catches fish. so to end all the debate on who has the best , its like the auto dealers if u drive a toyata or caddy u going to get to where u want to go they all good what ever suits u thats the one to get comfortable with.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The man has spoken! Frank, the dingaling in the picture is the one I was talking about the other day...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Dont personally know Conner but his jigs arent to bad. I have fished coon dog jigs for 30 years & all are the same. They throw the same, perform thesame, kill the same. Conner will carry on the lifestyle / legend.I :bowdown to both young & old.Most wouldnt understand.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
The one thing I think sperates a coon dog or danny jig from a Connor jig is Consistancy. Im sure some of the good looking Connor jigs catch fish it just seems like you have to pick through the rack alot of times to find a nice one. Some are missing half the hair or have a big drip of epoxy on the head etc. The fish may not care but I just throw what I have confidence in like everyone has said. I too would love to see connor tying at the outcast seminar

·
Registered
718 Posts
Give "Connors Jigs" a try you will not be disappointed. I started using them 2 years ago during the pier pomp tourney caught my limit in the month of April everyday I went.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts