Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a handgun to hunt deer with next year.

I want to mount a scope to it. I believe I need at least a 6" barrel or

even the 8 3/8 barrel that come with some calibers. I have looked at

the judge for the versatility of the different shots/loads. Does anyone have advise or know what caliber of make to stay away from

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I used to hunt with a Dan Wesson, 44cal, with a 10 1/2" barrel with a leupold 4 power scope, loved it,, but you had to have strong wrist and grip,,

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk with a 10 5/8 in barrel and a Leupold scope on it and it is great. Ruger also makes a Hunter model that uses their scope rings, very nice setup too. I would say stay with a 6" barrel or longer just if you plan on scoping it. If not I also use my 4 5/8 inch Super Blackhawk with iron sights to hunt with and it makes a great Packin' Pistol. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Not a big hunter, just a serious , curious question. Expanding my knowledge :)

Why would you want too?

For the challenge?

I imagine you have to be pretty close...Even a long barrel handgun has to be pretty inaccurate compared to a rifle...

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kinda like hunting with a bow. Yes it is the challange. 50 yds. max would be the field of range I am hunting. Thanks for the question

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
this one here would probably do the job but i've never shot it. it's .30.30 cal. and i would sell it but i have no idea what ir's worth.

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,548 Posts
I had a s+w 44mag with a 6" barrel and 4x scope and a A.Uberti 44mag with 4x scope that both shot golf ball size groups at 75yds. Killed deer with both. Shot a doe with a .40cal glock a few years ago at 10steps. I have a .45 kimber combat 2 that I've been wanting to shoot one with but the right opportunity hasn't presented itself yet.

I would like a 454casul with a 2x7 but been spending all my extra bones on my black rifle here lately.

·
Super Moderator
28,504 Posts
My baby is a Thompson Pro Hunter 7-08 hand cannon!!!!

got it w/ intentions to hunt but have only been out a couple times w/ her and no luck yet...:banghead:letsdrink

·
Registered
306 Posts
Jason (2/12/2010)My baby is a Thompson Pro Hunter 7-08 hand cannon!!!!

got it w/ intentions to hunt but have only been out a couple times w/ her and no luck yet...:banghead:letsdrink

Mine looks a whole lot like that....it'sa Contender Pro Hunter 14" ported stainless in 30-30 with a silver leopold 2.5 power scope.....It is amazing what you can hit with one at 50...75...or even 100 yards.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts

Man that is one bad ass weapon

·
Praedator
10,008 Posts
choppedliver (2/12/2010)

Man that is one bad ass weapon
I have had the pleasure of shooting this weapon and it's simply a hand canon. You better have a good grip on that bad boy. My brother in law didn't have a grip and me and Jason laughed like crazy. He about had a black and blue nose from the scope.:doh:doh

·
Registered
641 Posts
A buddy of mine hunts quite successfully with a Ruger .460 He likes it because it can fire the .460, the .454 and a .45 Long Colt

·
Registered
339 Posts
I hunt with a Ruger Super Blackhawk .41 rem mag. Scoped.

I went to bass pro shop two weeks ago. I happened to ask them the price on a new one. To my surprise, and the salesman. Their price right now on a .41 is about $100 cheaper than the same gun in a .44 mag. Less recoil, than the .44 --flatter shooting. and mineshoots about 3" groups at 100 yds.(From the bench). cartridges are harder to find for the .41-Thats the biggest drawback I can see.

I think if I were going to buy a used hand cannon to hunt with I would decide on two or three I would like to have and buy the first one that pops up.

I wouldn't sell my .41.-But if a contender pops up I'm in the market

The other argument was that its a pistol..--YES-AND--I also hunt with my rifle sometimes where I cant even see 40 yards. If it is a mission strictly to feed the family I Would use more resources. If its for pleasure and food I use what makes me feel warm.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts