Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive 285 between Mossy Head and Niceville for my commute to work. Thats right down the middle of the Eglin reservation. I've commented several times about all the animals I've seen on that road. Hogs, deer, turkeys, fox, etc. Seen a hog get hit by a car one morning. At night I bet I've seen 50 deer routinenly on the side of the road.

Anyway, this morning I saw a deer carcass on the side of hte road. Not suprisingly, probably got hit by a car sometime this weekend. But as I drove by I looked closely and someone had cut the head off.

So my question is this, would you cut the head off road kill for a trophy mount? And if you hit a deer with your car, does it count for a trophy kill?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Might have been just for the skull and I have considered stopping to get a pair of horns for rattling. I'm pretty sure that it is illegal though.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand horns. But would you cut the head off just to get the horns? You could argue its quicker, but dang, then you have a mess of a head to deal with.

Actually, if I was trying to decorate something and needed a deer head I would do it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yea if all you have isa knife you can take the whole head and saw the horns when you get home. Then you just chunk the head on the bridge on you're way to work....J/K...:boo

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
i dont know if i would mount a deer that was hit by a car but i would prolly stop and pick it up. i enjoy collecting antlers, even if i didnt kill the deer. i guess it would be like shed hunting or picking up the skull of a dead buck that you come across while scoutin. no harm done in my opinion but it would prolly be best to drag the entire deer into the back of the truck and do the dirty work at the house. i havent seen alot of dead bucks on the sides of roads so that tells me that either bucks dont cross highways or people pick them up after they do. so most likely if you come across one, its fairly fresh(shouldnt be too stinky)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Seen this happen on my side of town also. I don't believe there are a whole lot of deer running around there also. So, I'm thinking that people are shooting the deer (Notice I didn't call them hunters), cutting off the heads and tossing the rest. It's a shame and a disgrace!!

The results of trophy hunting and the quest for large racks...deer racks that is.:sick

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Team PinFish (11/19/2007)Seen this happen on my side of town also. I don't believe there are a whole lot of deer running around there also. So, I'm thinking that people are shooting the deer (Notice I didn't call them hunters), cutting off the heads and tossing the rest. It's a shame and a disgrace!!

The results of trophy hunting and the quest for large racks...deer racks that is.:sick

hmm havent really thought about the possibilities of poaching. just seems to me if someone poached a deer off the side of the road, they probably wouldnt hang out atthe crime sceneand cut the head off the deer. i would think they would either save time by tossin the deer in the back of the truck or drag it off the road so they wouldnt get caught. not the smartest idea to poach so im sure the people that do it arent the smartest people. maybe im reading too much into it..

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it could have been a dump, I didn't think about that. And it was closer to town. I wish who ever did it though would have dragged the thing into the woods. It wasn't but a couple of feet to the tree line. A headless carcass isn't the most pleasant sight in the world. Especially since we are so close to the "don't hurt the poor defenseless shark" crowd that would love to find a new injustice.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Funny that you would mention this. When I was making jigs for Strippers (freshwater) I would use the white hair from under the tail. I have pulled over to a FRESH roadkill and cut the tail off. See no difference in someone wanting rattlers, except for the work involved.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Well, hmmmm. If he put in the proper time and installed a field cam. Maybe if he/she really studied the lay of the highway to time the collision just right. I would think then that itis justified and should be hung on the wall. Then you can take off your grill and hang it over the fireplace. Yeah I got that stud with a 96 explorer. Did a lot of tracking and studied their movements. It is not as easy as you think, and without the right insurance it can really come back to bite you. I would think that bumper placement is really the key to good kill. Just a little confused as to where you put the Blaze Orange on your car?:doh

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
mpmorr (11/19/2007)Well, hmmmm. If he put in the proper time and installed a field cam. Maybe if he/she really studied the lay of the highway to time the collision just right. I would think then that itis justified and should be hung on the wall. Then you can take off your grill and hang it over the fireplace. Yeah I got that stud with a 96 explorer. Did a lot of tracking and studied their movements. It is not as easy as you think, and without the right insurance it can really come back to bite you. I would think that bumper placement is really the key to good kill. Just a little confused as to where you put the Blaze Orange on your car?:doh
:clap:clap:clap:clap

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had a friend in college that mounted a huge 8pt that he hit with his car.(140 class deer)

He totaled his honda when he hit it and he was like "what the hell do I do with this thing?" we told him to mount it (on the wall, ha ha) and he did. He didn't even hunt. The plaque read something like....taken by___________, on whenever 1998 with 96 Honda Accord. Made a good conversation piece!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
almost every weekend when i go hunting, it never fails that there will be a dear carcass at some of our gates from people leaving them there. the sad thing is that all they do it take out the back straps and leave the rest of the deer. makes me sick to think that someone could kill a yearling and jsut take the back straps. they arent hunters if you ask me. its pathetic

·
Registered
380 Posts
Tuna Man (11/19/2007)Funny that you would mention this. When I was making jigs for Strippers (freshwater) I would use the white hair from under the tail. I have pulled over to a FRESH roadkill and cut the tail off. See no difference in someone wanting rattlers, except for the work involved.

I sure would like to see what a "stripper" does with a bucktail jig! hahaha

Anyway, I see headless carcasses all the time on the roads back home, especially during the rut. Nothing unusual. I lopped the head off a huge spike that had been plowed by a sizeable vehicle a couple years ago, dragged the carcass off into the woods afterwards though. I really don't think many of those headless bodies are poached though...if the poacher (definitely not hunter) manages to drop the deer on the spot, its going in the truck.

·
Registered
380 Posts
cliff k (11/19/2007)almost every weekend when i go hunting, it never fails that there will be a dear carcass at some of our gates from people leaving them there. the sad thing is that all they do it take out the back straps and leave the rest of the deer. makes me sick to think that someone could kill a yearling and jsut take the back straps. they arent hunters if you ask me. its pathetic

Nothing makes me more pissed off than seeing things like that.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Stumpknocker (11/19/2007)
cliff k (11/19/2007)almost every weekend when i go hunting, it never fails that there will be a dear carcass at some of our gates from people leaving them there. the sad thing is that all they do it take out the back straps and leave the rest of the deer. makes me sick to think that someone could kill a yearling and jsut take the back straps. they arent hunters if you ask me. its pathetic

Nothing makes me more pissed off than seeing things like that.
yea that is bullshit!! we see it in evergreen too. but i used to see it alot on the road to the back gate of Blue Water. purely pathetic!

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
SPECKDECK (11/19/2007)I had a friend in college that mounted a huge 8pt that he hit with his car.(140 class deer)

He totaled his honda when he hit it and he was like "what the hell do I do with this thing?" we told him to mount it (on the wall, ha ha) and he did. He didn't even hunt. The plaque read something like....taken by___________, on whenever 1998 with 96 Honda Accord. Made a good conversation piece!!

i hunted with a friend of mine in Evergreen last year and they had a European mount of a big 8 point. the plaque said "I was killed by a drunk old man in a school bus". see, the old man that owned the land had a old beat up school bus that he drove around town for some reason and he had a habit of being drunk when he did it.... Evergreen people are a dif breed!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I was once told by a forestry officer that the animals ar state property if the deer hits your car then the state has to pay for it or give you the deer if that is true then doo what you wont my sealf if I hit it im eating it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts