Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:furious: I, for one, certainly do not agree with what Texas is doing. After all, they are 5 Gulf states; not just Texas. Recreational, commercial, charter, and head boats all contribute a great deal to not only what Florida has, or should have, to offer the sportsman/consumer but also our very economy. The fact that the gulf council approved Amendment, 40 when their own web sight recorded a 96.3% opposition rate, indicates how 'broken' the system really is. We pay, reimburse, the council members to represent the best interest of both fisherman & fishery. Who exactly are they representing is the really big question. We all knew how 'follow the money trail' Crabtree would vote; but Pam Dana, the 'supposed' recreational fisherman representative on the council, voting yes was a shocker.
Who is Pam Dana?

As most on here probably know I have been fishing on Hubbard's boats for decades. With Hubbard's extensive log book records their 'share' under shares-separation would probably be very large; great for business. However Captain Mark Hubbard, owner, as well as myself, are strong opponents of Amendment 40; it's just not the right thing to do. Each & everyone of us deserve our fair share of ARS, gags, and everything our waters have to offer. This is our heritage. However, 'fair share' has been taken over by greed. The council members are appointed; not elected. If they were forced to face the VOTE the 10 who voted for Amendment 40 would have a most difficult time holding on to their positions. Wonder who they really represent?

Does anyone know how much the council members are reimbursed?

·
Registered
852 Posts
What?

All 3 Texas GC reps voted AGAINST Amendment 40 - 3 out of the 4 Florida reps voted FOR it.

Texas is doing what all of the other Gulf states should be doing - standing up for the rights of their citizens as protected under the US Constitution.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We all pull from the same ARS stocks. Texas, in state waters, has a 365 day season. We, the other four gulf states, pay the price!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Mr. Harbison,
Looks like you are buying into the rhetoric blaming Texas for the failures of the system in place.

Texas has ALWAYS had a year-round season relative to federal fishing regs.. Texas statewater snapper were NEVER and issue until the changes implemented in the 2006 reauthorization of magnuson (crafted and implemented by EDF's Oceans Team).

You may want to educate yourself on the REALITY of what you are claiming - here is the link to the NMFS numbers on the subject;
http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/sustainab...ents/pdfs/2013_red_snapper_emergency_regs.pdf

Snapper caught outside of the federal season (in STATE WATERS);
Texas 24.7% of total Texas landings OF 616,526 pounds = 152,281 Pounds
Florida 20.8% of total Florida landings of 2,135,804 pounds = 444,247 pounds

So, WHO is supposedly causing the season to be shorter due to STATE WATER SNAPPER? Texas? Nope.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Texas

Sorry but Texas has played a huge part. Why should Texas be so different from the other four gulf states?
"Texas has ALWAYS had a year-round season" *Part of the problem we are now facing.*

·
Registered
852 Posts
Sorry, but Texas has NOT always played a huge part - Steve Atran said that Texas state water landings were "statistically insignificant".

Texas state water landings - 152,281 Pounds
Florida state water landings 444,247 pounds

Why are you not railing against the state that is landing 3X what Texas is from their state waters (Florida)?

·
Registered
852 Posts
We all pull from the same ARS stocks. Florida, in state waters, lands more red snapper from state waters than any other Gulf state - 3X the amount that Texas does.
We, the other four gulf states, pay the price!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Simple math...more people equal more fish. In regards to the total number of fisherman Texas does not "pay;" Texas takes! And we all, "pay the price!"

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Not sure where this is coming from Harbison but your fight is not with TX and their 365 day season. This is exactly what EDF/NMFS wants to do; put angler vs angler, capt vs capt, state vs state. How many federal days do you think you would get (since that is all you can use in your portion of the state) with Tx's 147,000 lbs of snapper. Why take from an entire state a year round fishery for two more days of fishing for you and your customers. Only thing that will change this is to have the states push their water 21 fathoms and regulate from there. No way any of this gets better with the corrupt feds at the helm.

If you thought that Pam Dana was going to vote no on ad 40 you must not now the destin fleet very well.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
A red snapper off the coast of Galveston has nothing to do with a snapper off the coast of Destin.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Simple math...more people equal more fish. In regards to the total number of fisherman Texas does not "pay;" Texas takes! And we all, "pay the price!"
To quote YOU Mr. Harbison; "We all pull from the same ARS stocks."

If Texas landings take 2 days off of the season, then Florida state water landings take 6 days off of the season for EVERYBODY.

OMG.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Actually I have no fight with Texas per say. We all take from the same pool. Maybe we should all have a 365 day season. Equal chance for every angler!

Now this I think we can all agree on:

"Only thing that will change this is to have the states push their water 21 fathoms and regulate from there. No way any of this gets better with the corrupt feds at the helm."

Pam Dana: I have had many discussions with Pam. When the Dept. of Commerce appointed her over Governor Scott's #1 choice, Bo, I wanted to know if she was an EDF YES girl. She assured me she was not. I thought she would actually represent us. Her vote on Amendment 40 has cast many doubts.

"Not sure where this is coming from Harbison but your fight is not with TX and their 365 day season. This is exactly what EDF/NMFS wants to do; put angler vs angler, capt vs capt, state vs state."

Not exactly sure how Texas got into this either. I am more than willing to lay off. I agree with what you have said.

"A red snapper off the coast of Galveston has nothing to do with a snapper off the coast of Destin." WOW! See why we have the problems we do.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
It would suit me if every redassed snappa the GOM died,,,the only folks that would notice is the ones that were making money off of em.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thank you Captain. I really appreciate that. Sir, I do not pretend to be an expert at anything. I try my best to look at all sides and then form an opinion. After reading what you and others have to say I am looking at Texas differently, and will act accordingly. We are all in the same boat. The more we stick together the stronger we are. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy; I want NO part of that!
This forum is a tremendous learning tool. Thanks to all who have contributed so much. We can learn from each other. Knowledge is power!

" the only folks that would notice is the ones that were making money off of em. " So very true!

Still trying to find out how much we are paying the members of the gulf council to 'represent' us.
This is what I have found so far:
"Currently the rate schedule is approx. $70 /hour , so an 8 hour day is $560 plus expenses." Thanks Captain Colecchio

Any more information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Thank you Captain. I really appreciate that. Sir, I do not pretend to be an expert at anything. I try my best to look at all sides and then form an opinion. After reading what you and others have to say I am looking at Texas differently, and will act accordingly. We are all in the same boat. The more we stick together the stronger we are. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemy; I want NO part of that!
This forum is a tremendous learning tool. Thanks to all who have contributed so much. We can learn from each other. Knowledge is power!

" the only folks that would notice is the ones that were making money off of em. " So very true!

Still trying to find out how much we are paying the members of the gulf council to 'represent' us.
This is what I have found so far:
"Currently the rate schedule is approx. $70 /hour , so an 8 hour day is $560 plus expenses." Thanks Captain Colecchio

Any more information would be greatly appreciated.
What I said even though I do think that wasn't directed at you Mr Harbison.There are folks that take others out to fish that are not for this deal.The straight catching and selling is what I meant.I'm gonna try to get down your way next summer.:)

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
It would suit me if every redassed snappa the GOM died,,,the only folks that would notice is the ones that were making money off of em.
The money thing is probably the biggest adversary here without a doubt. But the main reason for that...and I'll say it again....its the demand. If the buyers would just cut back, the demand would decrease, and what are they going to do with all the supply? Sell it to China? Its not like fuel...there are other fish to eat! I myself will only eat the snapper I catch... Legally. Just my 2¢.

·
Registered
429 Posts
"Tagging studies (in which fish are caught, tagged, released and hopefully re-caught at a later time) have shown that red snapper are indeed capable of movements as much as 350 miles, especially when motivated to do so by tropical storms and hurricanes. However, in these same studies, the vast majority of tagged red snappers are recaptured within a few miles of their initial tagging sites, even after several years of post-tagging freedom"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts