Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Who’s Been Fishing in Alaska?

5K views 46 replies 19 participants last post by  sws763 
#1 ·
I found out last week that I’m going fishing in Alaska in August. We will be fishing in the river for salmon and in the bay for salmon and halibut.
We will rent rod & reels for the halibut but I’m not quite sure what to take for the salmon. One of the guys I’m going with said to plan on 10 - 15 lb fish.
We will be using lures, so lots of casting.
I’m not sure my Mitchell 300s are up to the task. I’m thinking maybe a Shimano Stradic 3000 or 4000 with a 3 piece rod that I can take as a carry-on.
I’ve got several Penns in the 6500 - 8500 size but believe they will be too large.
Also will need to buy some chest waders and haven’t made up my mind on whether it’s worth the hassle to take a gun. One of the guys I’ll be fishing with will have a 44 mag.
Has anyone on here done that type of fishing and if so, any pointers?

#3 ·
Yeah, if it were me, I’d want a gun. But bear spray might be a better idea. As for lures, I would buy them there based on what’s hot at the moment. If you’ve never been…prepare for a huge swing in temperature. And spectacular views and fishing. Be sure to give us a report.

#5 ·
Haven't been yet, but know plenty of folks who have (my late uncle homesteaded there in the mid-1960s).

The Shimano Stradic or NASCI in 4000 class would be up for anything inshore. More sport, drop down to the 3000. For rods, the Falcon Travelers are nice. I have a spin and casting and really like the action. They won't break the bank and I use them with the above reels. You can order direct from Falcon on-line. Most of the other travel rods I've tried over the years feel like broom sticks.

#7 ·
I’ve got S&W and Ruger 44s but both are long barrels and I really don’t want to subject them to water. I’ve been doing some reading and it looks like the Glock 20 (10 mm) is becoming very popular up there. I wouldn’t mind putting it in a harsh environment. Probably get a nylon Diamond D chest holster.
I appreciate all the input.

#10 ·
I have the leather.

mine has a water proofing on it like snow seal or something like that. I ordered it built for the gun and the trijicon RMR with an extra mag pouch.

never used it for bears but have crawled some distances in wet fields chasing deer and hogs. It’s still in great shape and fits everything perfectly.

#12 ·
I have been to alaska three times doing the fishing you describe.
Lots of fun. Still have fish in the freezer from last year.
What rivers you going to fish?
I took a 9 weight fly rod and a 8 ft spinning set up
Anything for a 8 to 15lb fish will be fine.
Would not give bears to much worry.
Common sense goes a long way in keeping you out of trouble
You can message me if you want more details on trips

#13 ·
I don’t know a whole lot about it. I’m going with a guy who goes every year and another old friend who’s been once. I do know that we will be staying at Yakutat.
He’s given me some good tips, just want to get some different perspectives.
He said he’s seen bears but just gave up his fish and was fine. But he does carry a 44.
He’s going to send me some pics of his rods and reels. I’ve been thinking about a Stradic since using one on our trips to Louisiana and wanted to get opinions.
I’m not sure if my Mitchell 300s would be up to the task. My buddy that went a couple of years ago had his Daiwa gears torn up by a salmon.

#14 ·
Where?? I've fished up there twice, been there 4 times.

Are you young and spry or old and arthritic? Salmon river fishing is an operation of flipping it out and pulling back in more than cast and reel. Can you flip a heavy rod and reel 800 times in 2 hours? Which river? Russian river is known as combat fishing as you will be within 30 feet of the next fisherman. Kenai river at the Soldotna city park is 100 yards wide and you will cast for hours.

A good light Penn 4500 type size and a light rod will catch most any river salmon will you probably see. A Fly rod will catch a salmon. A Zebco 404 will slay the pinks near Valdez. Zebco 202 will catch the Grayling up in the interior rivers. Where you going??

FYI bank fishing is not allowed in most places as it causes erosion from all the people trampling around. You have to walk down steps and stand in the freezing cold water.

You don't need a gun unless you will be way out in the woods with nobody else. More than likely you will be fishing with 250 other fishermen. Half the locals will be packing a gun.

I'll split the overnight shipping for half the Halibut. Best fish I ever et.

#16 ·
Yeh, my buddies tell me it is really remote. No roads go to it. Fly in only.
I went on an Alaska cruise/land tour last June and we stopped in Skagway. Very pretty.
Unfortunately, we are not young and spry. I’ll be 68 at the time of the trip. I’m in decent shape but my lower back has been acting up lately.

#20 ·
Yakutat in August...you'll find coho, dolly varden, and maybe some early steelhead there...Pack 3/8th and 1/2oz redfish jig heads and hop pink doa jerk shads in the river...it will catch everything. Or get something like an 8 inch straight tail worm and cut em in half and twitch those. Google twitch jig for coho for something to read. If you have any redfish spoons they would work as well...a 4000 loaded with 15lb mono is all you'll need for that river its not large. I would pack your fishing gear in a rifle case and throw a pistol in there so it wont get lost. Buy a can of spray when you get to town...after shooting and spraying bears I would spray one every time over shooting one...but opinions vary. There will be little gear to buy in yakutat...If your spending the night in Juneau or Anchorage pre jump you can find anything you need there.

#23 ·
I fished the "Little Sue" river during a run. A couple hours(?) out of Anchorage. The male fish were turning orange and had virtually no meat. The females looked normal but also had little meat. The fish literally kill themselves to spawn.

We used small mesh bags of salmon roe for bait, I think the guide said the fish were not eating the roe, just capturing it to move it into calmer waters.

The river fishing was fun, but it was certainly not meat fishing. Figuratively, like shooting fish in a barrel, the fish were so plentiful.

Jim

#31 ·
Somebody at a gun shop suggested the Kenia holster today when I was looking at G20s.
Yes, we were up there last June for a cruise. Left Fairbanks at 10:00 at night and got to Pensacola at noon the next day. I’ll definitely have a fleece jacket in my carry-on going up and back.

#33 ·
Thanks for the offer but after looking at the price I think I would rather go with the Diamond D leather for a little more money.
Im still undecided on whether to take a gun or bear spray. I looked at Glock 20s yesterday and it’s a handful. I’m wondering how carrying it might affect my lower back which has been known to act up.

#38 ·
Counting down to less than a month.
Still have a few things to figure out but so far I’ve bought a new Glock 20, 2 boxes of Federal Premium Solid Core 220 grain ammo, an Apache hard travel case, a new Diamond D chest holster, a new Stradic 4000, a new Grunden rain jacket and a mosquito headnet.
I called the lodge and they said they have plenty of rods and I’m going to rent waders.
I need to start putting everything in a pile in the spare bedroom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.