Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Registered
3,942 Posts
I’ll be wearing chest waders.
If you need a good pair of waders you can borrow mine depending on what size you need. I’ve used them in Alaska for fishing twice now and have been in the Kenai and Russian so I know they will keep you warm enough and plenty dry (unless you slip on a rock in the confluence of the Kenai and Russian and then that’s another story).

They are size 9 and you're welcome to borrow them. I live over in Mulat in Milton.

· Neptune calls me "Daddy"
10,977 Posts
I fished the "Little Sue" river during a run. A couple hours(?) out of Anchorage. The male fish were turning orange and had virtually no meat. The females looked normal but also had little meat. The fish literally kill themselves to spawn.

We used small mesh bags of salmon roe for bait, I think the guide said the fish were not eating the roe, just capturing it to move it into calmer waters.

The river fishing was fun, but it was certainly not meat fishing. Figuratively, like shooting fish in a barrel, the fish were so plentiful.

Jim

· Registered
1,718 Posts
Just finalized plans. Staying at Glacier Bear Lodge for 7 nights. 3 meals a day at the restaurant and rental car included as well as fish processing.
Have a several mile long guided float trip planned for one day.
I hope the Kings are going up the river when you are there. Man some fresh halibut on a BBQ grill sure sounds gooooooood!

· Registered
2,805 Posts
I’ve got S&W and Ruger 44s but both are long barrels and I really don’t want to subject them to water. I’ve been doing some reading and it looks like the Glock 20 (10 mm) is becoming very popular up there. I wouldn’t mind putting it in a harsh environment. Probably get a nylon Diamond D chest holster.
I appreciate all the input.
I highly suggest the kenia chest holster, have one for my G40 I use for hiking and it’s so comfortable even with the added weight of the long barrel
I forget it’s there and you never need to take it off.

· Registered
3,942 Posts
Dress warm on the flight especially if it’s at night which it probably will be on your return. My dumb ass wore shorts and a polo with flip flops on the way back and like to have froze to death! Pretty much all flights home are night flights.

· Registered
9,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Somebody at a gun shop suggested the Kenia holster today when I was looking at G20s.
Yes, we were up there last June for a cruise. Left Fairbanks at 10:00 at night and got to Pensacola at noon the next day. I’ll definitely have a fleece jacket in my carry-on going up and back.

· Registered
9,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
If your around Cantonment this week and want to check on out before spending the money shoot me a pm.
Thanks for the offer but after looking at the price I think I would rather go with the Diamond D leather for a little more money.
Im still undecided on whether to take a gun or bear spray. I looked at Glock 20s yesterday and it’s a handful. I’m wondering how carrying it might affect my lower back which has been known to act up.

· Registered
2,805 Posts
Thanks for the offer but after looking at the price I think I would rather go with the Diamond D leather for a little more money.
Im still undecided on whether to take a gun or bear spray. I looked at Glock 20s yesterday and it’s a handful. I’m wondering how carrying it might affect my lower back which has been known to act up.
No problem, with it strapped tight across your chest your back won’t even realize it’s there. I have horrible back issues as well and have not had a problem.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts