Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do most of the catching and all of the cleaning. My bride does the cooking and plans to pan sauté some and blacken some. Yum! I do a lot of the eating, too!

·
Registered
352 Posts
The eat great. Nice white flesh, high quality meat. Great for fish tacos. When they get really thick in winter I'll fill an ice chest up and can them and have them all year. About to open my last cam up for fish salad tomorrow.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I concur with Andrewsa43. Smaller filets than redfish or black drum, but maybe a little flakier. I have heard people complain about an iodine taste, but I have not experienced that. They are superb for tacos. I have not tried to can them, but they hold up nicely in vacuum sealed freezer packs.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
The eat great. Nice white flesh, high quality meat. Great for fish tacos. When they get really thick in winter I'll fill an ice chest up and can them and have them all year. About to open my last cam up for fish salad tomorrow.

What is the cooking method for them to be canned? Steamed? This sounds interesting!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
352 Posts
You have to use a pressure canner. It's pretty easy to do but you just need to follow the directions to make sure you take care of all the nasties. Its nice bc you don't have to worry about bones because they cook down. Just fillet, skin, and you are good to go. I follow the recipe in my canning book, I think there is one on this forum as well. Basically just throw fillets in cold jars w season, seal, bring to temp and cook for required time. I'll warn you that it doesn't look very good. I use it like I do canned tuna for sandwiches and really like it. It's nice that you can keep an abundance to have on hand through the year. The jar I just opened was canned 11/15 and it's still perfectly fine to eat. I've cammed king mack, whiting, and redfish and they basically all can the same.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts