Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick trip to the beach this afternoon to find some flounder, but the whiting tore the gulp to pieces. We went after the whiting instead. Hit or miss so I switched over to a beetle spin adding a tiny bait strip. Landed enough for a couple of good fish frys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like a lot of fun. Is there a limit on whiting? I can't find it in the fishing regulations so I'm assuming there isn't. I'm coming down for fall break in a few days and hoping to catch some dinner and put some back in the freezer.

·
Registered
749 Posts
If I'm not mistaken for unregulated fish it's 100 lb. or two fish which ever is greater. Look in regs. center where staples fold over about page 6 bottom of page [Unregulated species].

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll send you a couple of small ones with strong stainless hooks.

I never thought of using Beetle Spins for Whiting but I know they are death on Sheepshead. Unfortunately, Sheepshead destroy the hooks.

I'll make up a couple tomorrow and post a photo or two of how I make them.
Please post a picture of your Beetle Spins. Thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'll send you a couple of small ones with strong stainless hooks.

I never thought of using Beetle Spins for Whiting but I know they are death on Sheepshead. Unfortunately, Sheepshead destroy the hooks.

I'll make up a couple tomorrow and post a photo or two of how I make them.
I didn't know sheepshead would consistently hit any lure. I also want to try them for whiting. I love fall/winter whiting chewdowns on ultralight. Good groceries and fun fishing. Any trick for using them for whiting? Colors etc?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just so y'all can take my last 2 posted trips to compare-Last Saturday (not this post but the other) I fared much better hitting a midday high tide but the beetle spin was worthless in the wind and surf. I just cast out that surf rig with 3 oz pyramid on bottom with 2, #1 size hooks, with small bits of peeled shrimp. I pulled out 2 at a time at least 4 times. Bait, cast, catch repeat. The smallest beetle spin, small white grub in appearance did well the week previous under calmer conditions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts