Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've hunted here in NWF as much as AL. For 16 years in Wing, AL and longer than that here at Home. As far North as Miller's ferry West to Defuniak Springs and East to Claiborne Lock and Dam. North Eastern distance in AL would be Pine Orchard.

I was wondering why you think there are so many White Oaks and Chestnut oaks Up into Alabama and none here at home? It would seem that the rivers and creeks would eventually bring them our way. If someone tells me they have seen a White Oak here at home I call BS. They will have to literally show me the tree to prove it. I can't see it being geographical, or climate conditions that are the factors, maybe, but I don't think so. I've found plenty of Chestnut Oaks here on Escambia River, but ZERO White Oaks. Around Claiborne you find them right beside each other. I've never seen Oaks the likes of the ones at Claiborne. tens of thousands of acorns of all sizes are falling this year. White Oaks,Red Oaks, Pin oaks,Chestnut oaks,Overcups,Water oaks, and I think one called Chinkapin, probably more I don't know about. On the flip side there are no Live oaks up that far that I recall seeing though. Hmmmmm.

What are your thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
28,496 Posts
I brought a bunch of white oaks acorns back from TN.and have them in a planter...Hopefully outta all the 1's I put in there, a few might take so I can plant em. Other then them, I like the Saw-tooth oaks....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Our old family farm we used to have (grampa up and sold it:reallycrying) a creek ran right through the middle of it and we had some several very large white oaks that ran alongside of it. That land is south of marianna bout 12 miles and north of blountstown. And i swear on it they are white oaks

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
there's a bunch on the yellow river basin swamp, just northeast of baker. I have hunted them myself.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I occasionally hunt near Blounstown. There are many white oaks along the Appalacheecola river.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still I wonder why there aren't a large number here. I know they don't stand up well to huricanes but there still should be an abundance of them here. Ihaven't seen one in Esc or SR counties. North of here you see them like you doLive oaks here. I would LOVE to find a small bunch of them here on the river. It would literally be HOG HEAVEN.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I grew hunting in Iomonia lake Hunting Club off the Appalachicola River south of Blounstown, FL and man there are White Oaks everywhere in those swamps. Now getting to Home, Pensacola, Not real good soil here or north of here for WhiteOaks. I have a couple on my Property on the Chipola River South of Marianna, and they have been putting out some big Acorns this year.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that site Grum. That's awesome. I see now that I had a few wrong. Thanks!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
another way to really get oaks to drop a lot of acorns is in the off season just before the rainy season take a gallon of miracle grow and pour it on one tree close to where you are going to hang your stand and you will reap the rewards bountifully. especially bow season.

·
Registered
179 Posts
WHAT SNAPPER SAID ABOUT MIRACLE GROW WORKS GREAT. IN AN OLD HUNTING BOOK OF MINE IT SAYS USE 10-10-10 AND PLACE IT AROUND THE TREE IN THE AREA THAT THE LIMBS HANG OUT TO. THIS WILL WORK ON ANY WILDPLANT. I HAVE NOT ASKED IF THIS CAN BE DONE ON EGLIN. BEST TIME TO DO THISIS AFTER LAST DAY OFTHE SEASON. YOU CAN WALK YOUR AREA AND SEE WHAT THE DEER HAVE BEEN EATING. THAT WILL TELL YOU ALOT FOR NEXT YEAR. THIS NOT ONLY HELPS BRING THE DEER IN BUT ALSO HELPS THE DEER OVER ALL.

4,058 Posts
i breezed over this thread without reading the whole thing but it might something to do with soil. most of our farm is covered in white beach sand, which is very acidic, which is great for the growth of conifers (pines). however, on our hardwood tract just down the road, the soil is near about black, and the pH level much closer to neutral (7.0) or even basic (below 7.0) and the oaks are large dbh (diameter at breast height) and in great numbers. we have had a record mast year as well (acorn production). on some of our greenfields, i have chosen to leave a few larger oaks standing. much like the way fish gravitate towards structure, deer are the same. they will feed closer to the oaks than they will out in the open. also, i will actually fertilize those oaks....as wide as the crown as, several times a year.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you're right Blue Hoo. The soil has to be the answer. I wish we had them like they got'em around middle Alabama.

4,058 Posts
i hate our soil. well i mean it's good for pines which is how the land pays itself off, but horrible for growing crops. a lot of people around us try to plant alfalfa and that whitetail institute stuff/biologic that has a lot of alfalfa in it and it just doesnt produce at all. once again-because they're planting it where the soil is much too acidic to favor that kind of grass.

and i can't plant our hardwoods cuz the whole thing stays underwater the whole time. oh well

1 - 16 of 16 Posts