Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
me+bowtech=deer dead
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm trying to get people to sign this petition to restore White Island at the entrance of bayou grande. It says that we'd dredge sand from around the channel area and put the sand back up to fully recreate White Island. This would help protect the bayou and it's residence and make it possible for many more people to be able to enjoy its beauty. If anybody is interested or wants to sign, pm me and we can meet up somewhere. Thank you

·
Registered
578 Posts
I used to live in Bayou Davenport - the entrance is behind white island. I'm all for building up the island as long as they don't dredge the entrance of Davenport. It used to be deeper and people brought boats in there during Ivan because it was deemed a "safe anchorage". Well, they all wound up in our houses. The entrance is 3' or less now depending on the tides and I say leave entrance alone because only smaller shallow draft boats can enter. Just my 2 cents

·
me+bowtech=deer dead
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be dredged from the entrance to bayou davenport, to a depth of about 6-7 feet I believe, the reason were doing this I'd because it rebuilds the beautiful island and restores the natural barrier to protect the estuaries from hurricanes. Not only that it makes the island bigger for more people to enjoy... Sorry about boats ending up in your yard, but I guess that comes with the location during a hurricane... I can't blame anybody for wanting to protect their boat but that's just me. Again please contact me if your like to sign. All participators are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Hey guys, I'm trying to get people to sign this petition to restore White Island at the entrance of bayou grande. It says that we'd dredge sand from around the channel area and put the sand back up to fully recreate White Island. This would help protect the bayou and it's residence and make it possible for many more people to be able to enjoy its beauty. If anybody is interested or wants to sign, pm me and we can meet up somewhere. Thank you

What kind of time limits are you working against?? If a Wed nite meet up could be put together, you could probably get a decent sized group to sign it.

I grew up water skiing on Bayou Davenport when the water would Glass over in the late afternoons... Some of the property owners did not want skiers in there for whatever their reasons.... Boiled down to "Land Use Conflict"...
It is selfish to resist what is best for the bayou and the area as a whole because a Bad Apple might anchor a Boat in a storm there...

I will gladly sign it...

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
If it were truly a natural island (versus a spoils island) they would not place spoils upon it.
Which might not be the case at it appears on old maps of the 1930's as created by a man made cut across the peninsula where the bay channel is today.
I would bet that the enviro nazi's would not approve dredge materials to be used to build up that area. Too much "junk in the muck".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts