Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for a new reel and ive been thinking about the penn battle,conquer, or wait for the spinfisher v.is there a big difference between the conquer and the battle other than price and is the spinfisher v worth waiting for.any other reels around the 200 dollar price range i should look at?thanks

Btw,im going to be mainly after bid reds and kings so i need a good drag system.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My dad has the battle 6000 and I have a fierce 7000, theres not too much of a noticeable difference tp justify the price difference to me.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have a conquer 5000... the drag system and spool are really sweet. The only complaint I have is the EAS - easy acces ssytem.. it's not waterproof at all. I fish from a yak about 50% of the time, so I leave this combo at home. Shouldn't be an issue from the pier though.

I've heard some good things about the Battle series. I know it also has the HT100 drag in it, but I don't think it has as smooth of a drag as the Conquer because it has more drag washers and a top and bottom drag design (pretty sure, but been a while since I took mine apart). The Conquer probably has more overall max drag pressure too.

I also have an 8000 Shimano Spheros... it's a beast and has a great price tag. You can upgrade the drag to carbontex and put a better handle on it still staying below 200. I think the Saragosa in the larger size is over $200. My Spheros has a saragosa handle on it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
From my experience with the EAS on the Conquer, while using them both on boats and on kayaks, is the EAS doesn't allow any more water inside the reel than any other unsealed reel.

I have several Conquers and love them all. They have held up great over the years and I consider them very trustworthy. The both the reels themselves, as well as their drags are as smooth as the day I bought them. You'll be quite happy if you buy one.

I would avoid the Battle series if you'd like a nice, quality, higher end reel. I've owned many Battles, Sargus', and Fierces. They are excellent reels for the price and they work well. However, they all lack in the longevity department when compared to reels $50+ more.

With all that said, I would wait for the new Spinfishers. Penn really seems to have gone out of their way to incorporate some great features into this new lineup. Features that are quite impressive for their price. Spinfishers are known for being sturdy reels and by adding some seals, I really think Penn has created a great reel for kayak fishing. Let's hope they turn out to be a great product.

·
Registered
447 Posts
After using the Penn Spinfishers for quite awhile I decided to try the Penn Slammer 460. It is a much better reel with smoother drag, all metal, better guts, and much smoother to reel. I wish I had made the switch as soon as they came out with them, and the price isn't as high as the Conquer series. I spooled the 460 with 300 yards of 30lb braid.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Randy, the Slammer series is one of my favorite series of reels. However, I believe they are being phased out, due to the new Spinfishers V series (coming out in Oct) having all of the great qualities of the Slammers, plus more.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Randy, the Slammer series is one of my favorite series of reels. However, I believe they are being phased out, due to the new Spinfishers V series (coming out in Oct) having all of the great qualities of the Slammers, plus more.
Didn't know that. The new Spinfisher V does look interesting.................

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Find you a good large spool Abu Garcia 6000C/USA (gold color) at a yard sale. Attach it to a 7-8' MH/H rod of good quality. Spool the reel w/ 20# mono and set your drag tight enough to set the hook but loose enough to allow the fish to run.

The reel will cost less (if you can find one) than a Penn Battle but you'd be switching from spinners to baitcasters which would be an excellent move in the long run..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts