Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been thinking of buying a feeder or two. never used them before though. trying to think of things like battery life, gallon size, how much corn will fit and how long will it last, any experience with it going off and spooking game? any brands that you would suggest? does anyone used to solar chargers or the extra 6v supply? redhead, moultrie, big game, remington... i'm not about to drop a bunch of $$ on feeders but one moderately priced may be something try out. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I have a moultrie feeder, 30 gallon with a funnel bottom....It has emptied on me several times, once the funnel action started it didn't stop, and gets water in the motor from rain run off.... I saw on here to add sheet metal around the bottom and seal with silicone to keep the water from the motor, and acts like a corn shield to keep the corn from spreading way out....I for the most part just use my tube feeders made out of PVC pipe anymore

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seeing an awful lot of hit or miss reviews on moultrie. thanks for your input. gorgeous woods by the way ironman!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
as far as spooking game..... a friend said when the deer hear it go off that's when they come in.....
my 30 gallon holds a lot of corn.....I would buy from farmers and can get 6 bushels(around 300lbs) in a 55 gallon drum....with my tube feeders expanded to 6in vertical holding tube..... I can get 50lbs, verses 25lbs in the 4in tube, that use to last 4 days..... if the ***** stayed away....they have clean 25lbs over night:boo

I would consider the location and the ease of filling the feeder too....that's why I made the tri-pod with a boat winch to let the feeder down to the ground to fill....everything is at the top of a hill and was hard to get to till I got the atv path cut in....I use to carry a 50lb bag up the hill....then started to carry 25lbs in a 5gallon bucket made into a backpack..... that was still hard up hill, for me being 50:crying

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that's my problem now. glad i'm not the only one! haha. throwing by hand, i can't put enough out that it's not gone in 3 or 4 days. so i got this bright idea to use 7' x 4" pvc pieces and it didn't help at all. i make the joke that if pope & young had a squirrell division i'd be a legend.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I have a lot of squirrels and it's the ***** that eat the most....I need to thin both out, my tube feeders make them work for the corn....like the one picture shown....the deer has his head turn to use his tounge to pull the corn out....it just doesn't flow freely....its reduce to 2in in the horizontal troff area.....and I now have 6in vertical tubes for the holding tube...that hold twice the amount of corn

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
K-Bill, I bought two of these Remington Feeders last year, and have been pretty happy with them. I bought them both at Academy, got the first one for $99, the second was 30% off, so I got it for about $70. I had a couple of bad batteries last year, but with a good battery, it lasts about 5-6 weeks going off twice a day.

<a href="http://www.remingtonfeeders.com/product_pages/barrel_feeders/polyethylene_drum/index.html"><a href="http://www.remingtonfeeders.com/product_pages/barrel_feeders/polyethylene_drum/index.html">http://www.remingtonfeeders.com/product_pages/barrel_feeders/polyethylene_drum/index.html</a></a>

Ed

·
Registered
296 Posts
k-bill: pensacolaed has it correct.... i have been using the remington and they are very good. they will hold 300+ pounds and have a metal box for the spinner and battery that will not get broken by the game. also, purchase you a solar charger and a re-charging battery. when you place feeder in the field put vaseline on the legs and this will keep the ***** on the ground.. i recommend setting the timer twice per day at 6-8 seconds... with this setup you should be okay for 4-6 weeks... and total cost should be less than $150.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have Moulties, On-Times and Remington feeders. The Remington has been the best feeder by far! Solar charger and a re- chargeable battery is the way to go. With the timer set at 8 seconds, feeding twice a day, you should only fill the feeder once a month. Academy has been the best place to pick this up so far.

·
Banned
1,468 Posts
Build your own. Bbl from hardware store is about $18. I always use the Moultrie digital programable feeder which is about $45. Hardware to suspend the feeder is about $10.

The above mentioned feeder motors are the best that I have ever seen. Programable to 6 times per day. Uses 1,6V battery and will sling for a couple of months. -----SAWMAN

·
Super Moderator
29,299 Posts
I used gravity feeders fer a while then changed out to automatic feeders.....I now use a gravity feeder by on-time. It has a feeding trough in the three legs and holds 250-300 lbs. The deer started eating out of it almost instanly and is better suited fer feeding protein pellets w/ out alot going to waste like a spin feeder....:toast

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I don't really care about the make I just don't like the ones that use a photo cell. I like to set my feeders at 30 minutes before the first light and again at 3pm and the photo cell does not allow you to do that. This is to get the deer used to coming out at shooting light. I do have 3 or 4 photo cell feeders but they are used for scouting. I use those b/c they get moved so much they have a better chance to break and they are cheap to replace.To be quite honest everytime I see a Uhaul place or a RV places orsomething like that selling empty barrels I pick some up. I just buy the mechanisms. I have 2 feeders set up on 50 galsteel barrels and 3 set up with the 25gal rv water carriers.The other thing I do is put a solar charger on the feeder. I never have to change the batteries. I don't have and pics but if you live near Navarre I will come by and help you rig them up or just pm me if you decide to go that route. Last thing if you have bears on your land either forget about feeders or figure out a awy to get them up high connected to a limb away from a tree. I use the 25gal feeders for areas like that and tie a pulley to a limb way up and secure a boat cleet to a tree to anchor the line.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bullshark, I have had very good luck with my On Time solar feeder. I went three years before I had to change the battery. I typically feed 10 months out of the year, two feedings a day at 8 - 10 secs. For a little less money you can get an On Time feeder that uses 10 AA batteries. Have one of these also and it has been very reliable. Batteries will easily last 6 - 8 months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts