Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted last week what is the most sporting fish, and it overwhelming was Blue Marlin. I have never caught a Blue (and I am looking forward to the invite) as it would be difficult to do out of an 18' flats boat. I feel that finding and fooling a fish is the thrill, and from the hookset on to landing the fish is somewhat anticlimitic. The moment that the fish is fooled and takes a fake as if it were something that the fish thinks is something that is going to be good to eat is the greatest part of fishing. The reason that Permit on fly is the most sporting fish to me, is to date I have yet to find anything harder to fool. Just getting close enough to get a shot seems to be almost impossible to me, much less fooling one. Doing all it takes to find a fish and then presenting a fake to it and making the fake act real enough to get an aproval by the fish taking it, is the most thrilling part to me.By no means is the fight not fun to me, but it is not nearly as thrilling as the bite, and seeing it makes all the better to me.

I realize that everyone is has a different opinion on things such as this, and I thank God, otherwise there could possibly be alot of people like me and that couldn't be a good thing. But:

Maybe this is a better way to ask the question, What part of fishing is the most thrilling?

4,058 Posts
Hands down the most thrilling is either wiring or gaffing. There's nothing like having 500 pounds of angry muscle and willpower armed with a rapier-like bill just a few feet from you, connected only by some mono to your OWN HANDS. And when it comes to gaffing, I am just straight up a killer by nature. I like killing almost anything that walks at my farm, especially if it has a massive amount of bone sprouting from its skull, but I LOVE sinking the cold steel into a fat charlie yellerfin and having him beat me to death trying to rid his condemned body of BOTH hooks sunk into it.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Another good post Garbo. Good question.

I am the wireman for a reason. It's the most fun for me, but when I was a lot younger I liked being the cranker. But cranking is a younger person's thrill or one for guests. Being on deck is the best and when its time to grab the leader you can't be tentative or afraid or you will get hurt. And this is where the team game changes into an individual pursuit. Each part of the team is made up of individual parts who each have to function independently in order for the team to be successful.

That said, wiring a big blue is not something you get to do every trip. Sometimes they're small and other times you don't get the shot. So for the rest of the time, the thrill is in rigging the lures/baits. I love watching baits run in the spread. I like knowing which ones to pull at certain times and in certain conditions. Better yet, is understanding what each lure "should" do and how to tune the hookset, skirt or rigging to get the most fish attracting action. I have literally spent a thousand hours watching lures and then tinkering with each component to get what I want out of the lure. Once you've got one just right, its time to check the next and sharing those patterns and thoughts isn't bad either.

·
Super Moderator
5,913 Posts
Bluewater fishing holds the biggest thrill to me. Being part of a team effort is the shits. Anything from sitting down and discussing where we gonna be at in the morning before we leave or making a 50 mile adjustment after the first day. *sniff, sniff* Ya'll know what I mean. We make all of our decisions as a team, where to go, target species, tackle, who's wiring, gaffing, driving, reeling, filming, handing out emergency beer...etc. I love all of it, driving, wiring and gaffing being my favorites. (I do get somewhat aroused by gaffing, I have to admit) It's all good. Leaving at dark, being 80 or more miles offshore at first light and finding a good bite right off the bat, yeah...that's good too. I could go on and on......

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Garbo (10/22/2007)

Maybe this is a better way to ask the question, What part of fishing is the most thrilling?
Rolling backwards, then kicking to descend as fast as your ears can handle... when the reef comes into view through the murk and you see a hoss waiting to get shot, your heart starts pounding.

And if you don't make a kill shot, you have to fight... down there, in their element.

Ok, so it's not exactly "fishing" but I love it enough that I haven't used any of my rods/reels for a couple of years now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chucking a $14 Popping plug about 6' back into the Mangroves to have it inhaled Just Before it hits the water by a forty inch plus snook that shoots straight out of the mangroves and into open water so you can have a good clean fight, only to cut the line with the trolling motor five minutes into the battle, then snook jumps and shakes its head to return my $14 plug, And I yell to my then napping wife "Holy Sh*t did you see that" and she said why are you making so much noise, I'm trying to nap :doh

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Downtime2 (10/22/2007)Bluewater fishing holds the biggest thrill to me. Being part of a team effort is the shits. Anything from sitting down and discussing where we gonna be at in the morning before we leave or making a 50 mile adjustment after the first day. *sniff, sniff* Ya'll know what I mean. We make all of our decisions as a team, where to go, target species, tackle, who's wiring, gaffing, driving, reeling, filming, handing out emergency beer...etc. I love all of it, driving, wiring and gaffing being my favorites. (I do get somewhat aroused by gaffing, I have to admit) It's all good. Leaving at dark, being 80 or more miles offshore at first light and finding a good bite right off the bat, yeah...that's good too. I could go on and on......
Somebody, is gonna have to show me this. I promise to carry my weight.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Xanadu (10/22/2007)Another good post Garbo. Good question.

I am the wireman for a reason. It's the most fun for me, but when I was a lot younger I liked being the cranker. But cranking is a younger person's thrill or one for guests. Being on deck is the best and when its time to grab the leader you can't be tentative or afraid or you will get hurt. And this is where the team game changes into an individual pursuit. Each part of the team is made up of individual parts who each have to function independently in order for the team to be successful.

That said, wiring a big blue is not something you get to do every trip. Sometimes they're small and other times you don't get the shot. So for the rest of the time, the thrill is in rigging the lures/baits. I love watching baits run in the spread. I like knowing which ones to pull at certain times and in certain conditions. Better yet, is understanding what each lure "should" do and how to tune the hookset, skirt or rigging to get the most fish attracting action. I have literally spent a thousand hours watching lures and then tinkering with each component to get what I want out of the lure. Once you've got one just right, its time to check the next and sharing those patterns and thoughts isn't bad either.
I have never done the Marlin thing, but based on what I have seen (TV), I have to agree with you Hal. I would see the most fulfilling positions on the team to be Wireman and Driver. I also see where they make a huge difference, as the cranker is just hired labor if the Driver and Wireman do their part. The funny thing to me is the number of people that have sat in that chair and for years bragged about the fish they landed when it was really the Driver and Wireman, that did the deal. All the Cranker did was work, the real talent was in the other two. Glad you replied Hal.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I have to agree that wiring, rigging baits and setting the spread is the most fun. Don't get me wrong I still love to reel the fish in but it just isn't as much fun to me. I think it is important for every member of the team to spend some time on the wire or rigging baits that way when the time comes, no matter who is fighting the fish, billing it or gaffing it, every one knows what they need to do to make it that much smoother. I still love inshore fishing and would love to go trout fishing right now but nothing comes close to the rush of blue water big game fishing.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I love pretty much all types of fishing. Cobia fishing is my favorite.Spotting the fish then getting him to eat and the best [email protected]$$. But Billfishing is almost as good.Watching a big girl pile on a lure 15ft behind the boat is awesome, or having a fish come up on a teaser then pitching it a bait and watching him eat, freespool, then set the hook is unbeleivable. But Ialso love dropping down a BIG bait on a spot and getting hammered by abig grouper. fly fishing for tuna and dolphin is also incredible. I love it all, but live for those days where you just straight up mash em.

·
Super Moderator
12,800 Posts
the attack is best, whether it's a tuna blowing up on a popper, a marlin in a trolling spread, or some green meat on the pier, skying on cigs.

the rest is just work:hotsun... the attack is the best thing ever.:bowdown

4,058 Posts
haha the crankers are the ones that actually have to pay to fish!! haha idiots!! and they get wore out.i however, get paid TO fish!! haha not a REAL job of course, but not bad $$ for a college student on his 2nd chance at life. any serious boat owner knows the value of a good crew.

Curtis-when you come to hunt, I'll teach you to mate. Haha boy that one can go about 9 different ways, huh? haha
That way, people will be BEGGING YOU to come marlin fish next summer come tournament time!!

·
Super Moderator
5,913 Posts
The Blue Hoo (10/22/2007)haha the crankers are the ones that actually have to pay to fish!! haha idiots!! and they get wore out.i however, get paid TO fish!! haha not a REAL job of course, but not bad $$ for a college student on his 2nd chance at life. any serious boat owner knows the value of a good crew.
I agree with the part about the owner knowing the value of a good crew. I partially dissagree with the cranker part. On a charter, yes, I agree. On an effective team, The guy on the rod can shorten the fight tremendously. Particulary when backing down on a fish running the surface. A fight can be ended much faster if the guy on the rod knows what has to be done also. Also when the fish is next to the boat, not having to mess with the drag, he/she should know that also...

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
The Blue Hoo (10/22/2007) any serious boat owner knows the value of a good crew.
And any good crew knows the value of a good angler on the reel.....FYI...I hate the reel...would much rather be on the wire or tag/gaff...:letsdrink

·
Registered
228 Posts
Definatley agree!! The angler must know how to fight a fish and and have a will to win the battle! Its a 100% team effort when dealing with marlin. It does become personal once you get that 1st wrap on the leader but the angler must be prepared in case you have to let her goand also the Capt must be on his toes when bringing the big girl up! A good team like a well oiled machine!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Firstlight, tossing a skitterwalk in 12" of water, walkin the dog and having a big redfish come out of the water and crash it from behind. Also, jiggin for amberjack and getting freighttrained...feel the burn.

4,058 Posts
oh im not bashin the angler by any means. but i just like not being physically wasted after we boat a good fish. hell we lost a nice charlie the other day at the wire when i dumped the leader and the angler hadn't backed off the drag

·
Registered
310 Posts
I like those perfect days.. good seas, spread running good.. and the overall thrill of "any minute now". Sipping on cold beers, listening to music, bullshitting and above all the sound of drag ripping off at an alarming rate. Then theres that beautiful blue water.. you know the kind you comment on every 10 minutes or so as to how blue it exactly is.. even if you've seen it a thousand times before. The fish are a bonus.. the thrill is being out there.

4,058 Posts
401 Cay (10/23/2007)Sipping on cold beers,
Not me. I don't have anything against people who drink (hell I love to), but not when I'm workin the deck. You don't wanna be drunk when you have angry blue marlin or tuna at the wire. The day any of yall see me drinkin while workin a charter is the day I personally take the entire forum marlin fishing. I'm all business as soon as we leave the dock.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts