Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening partygoers,
I am looking to start more artificial bait fishing along the beach here in Pensacola. I am looking toward rods that are 9'-12'. Medium/light action is what I am thinking. I go to Dick's sporting goods, Academy, Wal-Mart and the longer rods are geared to heavy surf fishing.
Even online the choices are limited. Anyone have a suggestion as to where I might purchase one. I have even check Bass Pro Shops online and they don't seem to have anything that would fit what I am needing.
Thanks,

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I saw your message in my visitor messages just now. Was going to reply there. What kind of lures/species are you going to be focused on? That’s really going to dictate the model and action/length of rod.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trout, whiting, reds, founder, lady fish for live bait, etc. As of now I just want to get the experience.
My goal is to have the knowledge to pick the lure that is needed to catch the fish that is running during that time of year.
Example, you said the other night you were using top water plugs at night in the surf, I never knew that was an option. Lol. Almost all of my experience in fishing is freshwater.
So I have a lot to learn. Butt seeing this I is an edyubukated I learn reel quick like. Just needling someone gonna show me. Lol.
I do appreciate your time.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If your going stationary fishing then a 12 foot ugly stick is the way to go, I fish 2 of them, set them down in the rod holders and sit back in my chair and chill!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the stationary fishing good to go. I want to give myself more fishing options.
I don't always feel like hauling out the gear to the beach. I work in East Hill so a quick trip to the beach to do an hour or so of fishing is what I want to be able to do.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I don’t recommend anything longer than 10’6” and realistically, to effectively fish lures for the species mentioned, I’d suggest something from 7’6” to 9’. I’ve tried a lot of different lighter action surf rods and steelhead sticks and still can’t find anything longer than 9’ that possesses the feel and sensitivity needed for that style of fishing and the techniques used. Daiwa has a new series coming out that are supposed to cater to lighter tackle surf fishing and I’m hoping to have a couple in hand soon.

For now, look at the Tica Samira series, Daiwa Coastal SP, Tsunami Distance Special and Star Stellarlite. All offer good choices under 150 bucks.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the information. My thinking was that I would need the 11' - 12' rod for distance, but now I know otherwise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts