Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a good place to buy aluminum. I was thinking about building a new trailer for my boat and trying to figure out the cost. Does any of the local steel companys have it available?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Ashley is a little higher than Eastern Metals. Also Ashley is know Tand C Metals. Thats short for Town and Country and they are located behind Town and Country Plaza 100 W Leonard St. Anymore steel has gotten to be as expensive as aluminum. Be sure you order I beams thick enough to carry the weight of your load. They came in 24 footers. You will need a stick of channel also. Check with Star Industries in Milton. Don may sell you your axle set up and the steel trailer tongue that you will bolt in on the front. Don't weld on the main I beams. The heat on these main load carriers will cause them to crack under load.:mmmbeer

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I assume that you are in pcola. But if you are close to mobile, cameron ashley in theodore al. is where i purchase mine.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I'm curious how you plan to bend the I beam?

They have large presses in trailer shops to do that. Note that the beam rail's are not straight.

They are bent in front of where the the forward end of the fenders are.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Unless you are in need of some really wacko style or design not already built, you will find it is cheaper to purchase ready made.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hummm... More things to consider. Thanks for all the input. I was planning on building a trailer for a 17' aquasport. I have built a steel boat trailer in the past and it was a lot of fun. I thought aluminum would beaneven better. I guess I will have to rethink it. I didnt know you couldnt weld to the main I beams, I was actually thinking I was going tobuy some thinkeraluminum andmake it just like you wouldwith steel. I really dont know much about working with aluminum, guess I should start on a smaller project.

I will take some pics and I'm sure ask for more help if I decide to try it. Thanks Again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts