Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
probably a dumb question but i have only been here for a few months and i dont get alot of time to fish..my best friend is having his bachelor party here next week and i want to put him on some fish. i have a 23 ft bay boat and am hoping something will be biting out there. i just dont know which spot actually is the mass? heard its a mile out but i dont know if im looking at it on my depth finder or looking at a different wreck? if ft pickens is on my left when im going through the pass which direction do i head????

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Be cautious around it, the turret is either just below or barely sticking out of the water depending on tide. Usually not much except bait there. Do a few word searches on here, there are plenty of places you can get to.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
mass

30.29772, -87.30687

google earth it

Its approx 1 mile south of the pass just southwest of the green number 5 buoy.

Its marked by a Red number 2 buoy.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you guys are the best..thanks!! really nothin out there? any other suggestions to put my friend on some fish for his bachelor party..hes driving here from richmond va on oct9 -14..want him to have a good time.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
Be very very carefull approaching the Mass.

The marker bouy is far south of the actual location. Many boats have hit it and either gone down or damaged badly.

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
Last October we slayed the kings and spanish there. You should have pretty good luck there this time of year.

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
I still do not know why someone has not put a huge marker in the center of the highest turret. It would help everyone fishing near it greatly...We have thought about doing it but not sure the rules on leaving a permanent marker.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Last time we went out about 2 weeks ago we couldn't find it nor could about 5 boats around us. I believe the buoy has moved or something.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Just a suggestion, but if I were wanting to show my buddy a REALLY good time out on the water... I'd hire one of these captains on here (Like Capt Adams or Capt Delynn) to take us out. Just browse through some of the threads in the "Offshore Reports" section. We have some really really good captains in the area; and some of them will even take you out in YOUR boat. Just my $0.02

Hope yall have a blast

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks guys for all the info..much love and appreciation..yeah tyler massey is a buddy of mine who guides for hot spots and he is a beast capt but im trying to figure out if i can afford it..its hard to spend that much when i have my own boat tackle bait just dont know spots.

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
Just heard on the VHF that the coast guard cutter Cyprus is moving the buoy back (I assume to the original location)

Sent from my LG G2X using Forum Runner
Is the original location actually NEAR the Mass? Or will it go back to just South of the Mass about 100 yards?

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
last time I came by there, (within the last week) from the radar return from the buoy and where I have the wreck marked on the plotter, the buoy seems to be just west of the wreck now?
Ya that is where it was last time we were out there. After Isaac.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Last week while I was out kayak fishing by 3mile bridge I over heard on my vhf a guy hailing the coastguard about striking the Mass. He said it took out one of his outboards and unknown hull damage. He was able to limp in. I know the name of the cc but don't want to post the vessels name, if he wants to he can. That was either Mon or Wed.

Be very careful!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts