Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
between Ft.McRee and the navy base. If you are going to go there try and follow another boat to it becasue it is real shallow in areas around there and if you arent in the channels you will stick yourself and it will SUCK trying to push a boat around when its cold out.

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
Sand Island is also known as Admirals Island (The sand is pumped there to keep the channels open so the Admiral can make it home)

It is also known as Dog Island (You can take a dog there, but not on Fort McRee side.)

·
Registered
490 Posts
on the navigation maps sand island is in Alabama southeast of pelican island, which is south of dolphin island next to mobile ship channel

i believe you are looking for admirals island west of pensacola pass as in map above.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I have a 1954 Escambia map that labels the spot as Robertson Island.

I suspect that it was a penisula from the Navy base and may have been made into anisland by a new straightening cut for the intracoastal in the early 1930's.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
johnsonbeachbum (12/6/2008)I have a 1954 Escambia map that labels the spot as Robertson Island.

I suspect that it was a penisula from the Navy base and may have been made into anisland by a new straightening cut for the intracoastal in the early 1930's.

Maybe that is why the commercial traffic calls on channel 16 " West bound Tow lining up on Pensacola Land Cut".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.