Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i see all of the pictures on here with all of these nice bucks where do you have to go to get them to another state besides fl???? The biggest buck that i have ever saw was a 6 point and his rack was not even close to some of the racks on here. Do you need to join a club with food plots or what or is blackwater just out of big bucks because of all the hunters hunting there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
alot of big bucks are near and comin out of alabama middle region also known as the black belt region. i have land about 30 miles west of greenville. we have seen a fewnice deer this year.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
fishin daily (12/18/2007)i see all of the pictures on here with all of these nice bucks where do you have to go to get them to another state besides fl???? The biggest buck that i have ever saw was a 6 point and his rack was not even close to some of the racks on here. Do you need to join a club with food plots or what or is blackwater just out of big bucks because of all the hunters hunting there?
11 point killed 12-17-07 by Tom Griffing 20 1/4 inch inside spread and weighed 224 lbs. Susan went to school with Tom. Vicksburg, MS

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know hunting over feeders and food plots increases your chances but is that how everyone are getting the bigger bucks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
see thats what i am talking about. i want to see a good mature buck or atleast somewhat mature something besides a cowhorn

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
fishin daily (12/18/2007)i know hunting over feeders and food plots increases your chances but is that how everyone are getting the bigger bucks
NO can't bait in Alabama or Mississippi.:nonono:nonono:banghead

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
fishin daily (12/18/2007)i see all of the pictures on here with all of these nice bucks where do you have to go to get them to another state besides fl???? The biggest buck that i have ever saw was a 6 point and his rack was not even close to some of the racks on here. Do you need to join a club with food plots or what or is blackwater just out of big bucks because of all the hunters hunting there?
I feel your pain brother. The big bucks have always eluded me as well. Nothing but does and cow horns in my scrap book.:doh:doh:doh

·
Registered
20 Posts
My best 5 bucks.......heck my best 10 are from Ontario. I have an advantage....I live there. I have hunted Wisconsin a few times and Manitoba a few times for whitetail both are excellent trophy areas. I've harvested one small 8 pointer in Manitoba. The best states or provinces for trophies...no order...my opinion

Kansas

Iowa

Illinois

Wisconsin

Alberta

Saskatchewan

The best for access and 140+ reality without an outfitter

Ontario

Minnesota

Manitoba

Saskatchewan

Kansas

Montana

Oaklahoma

Many other states in specific areas.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Powerlines and Gas Lines are your friend...and NOT in Blackwater...you will have to go out of state to kill anything worth while. WELL, I will say, your chances will be better out of state like in Central Alabama/North Alabama/Georgia...etc.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Join a club if you can afford it. You will do better than if you hunt public land.

I used to hunt St.Regis on a regular basis in the early 80s and killed a couple of pretty nice bucks. But I had to quit when the slobs starting man-driving every head on the place regardless of whether you were sitting in a stand or not. They would start at 6:30 am and drive everything in the area away.

So, join a club. It's much better.............and safer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
3) like someone else pointed out about his cousins in the North end of SR county, there are WAAYYYYYY to many "nuisance" permits issued which allows the local red-neck population (nothing against Red-necks...I fit that category in many ways) to needlessly slaughter everything that moves! Heck! I know a guy with a nuisance permit and he LOVES bragging about killing literally (if he's telling the truth) a dozen or more deer every NIGHT he goes........ALL PERFECTLY LEGALLY!

Yea some of the Morons up in Walnut Hill have the Permits too . It takes a Hell of a Deer Hunter toshoota Deer with a Spot Light . When i grow up i wanna be just as good as them ..

4,058 Posts
fishin daily (12/18/2007) Do you need to join a club with food plots or what or is blackwater just out of big bucks because of all the hunters hunting there?
on private land. public land has plenty of monsters runnin around but they are WAAAAAAAAAY smarter than the average bear. so many people want to hunt within a few hundred yards of their truck....you're not gonna get a nice buck that way. get to know some people, get involved in a hunting club or invest and buy some land of your own and then talk to someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to PROPER herd management and although it might take 2-5 years to establish itself, you will start to see more deer and better quality deer. 90% of people i know do not know jack squat about how to grow deer. they think "oh all i need to do is plant some fall/winter food plots." this simply couldnt be farther from the truth. for one thing, our deer still have plenty of acorns to feed on...which is better for them than any food plot i plant. secondly, bucks dont even grow their antlers in the fall. for a buck to achieve its utmost genetic potential (and obviously if he has substandard genetics (aka cull bucks) this doesnt apply), he needs to have something like a minimum of 17% protein in his diet from feburary thru august. and this is the minimum. at our place they're gettting something between 25-35% protein in their diet thanks to the proper planting and food pellets/mineral supplements. and im not talking about just throwing some cattle feed in their troughs. remember, land will appreciate and if you're managing it for timber first, wildlife second, the sale of timber will be instrumental in paying off the land.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it sounds like you know what you are talking about blue hoo. I have been hunting for aslong as i can remember and i never knew the pacifics of it so does anyone know where a hunting club is that isnt really expensive. 1000.00 or less (less would be better)

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
What Woody said it true in just about every way. I hunt public land in Arkansas and usually travel several to 10 miles into the woods. I dont hunt where others hunt. I spend a lot of time in the off season finding spots that others have never even seen. That is where the big bucks are. In a place that has a huge amount of pressure on it, you will almost never see a mature buck because they often go nocturnal at the first sight of a human. However when you are in their living room, they tend to be less cautious. It takes a lot of time and patience to hunt public land. It can be very frustrating because of all the Jack-Monkeys out there that just dont know diddly squat about hunting. They have every right you do to be there. That is why I hunt deep into the woods. It takes a different mentality and a willingness to stay in the woods all day.

This past weekend ML opened again up here in Ark. The rut is over, but of course I am still looking for BullWinkle. I found him and his family as well. I did not get a shot, but that does mean I wont be able to set up on him next year or over the holidays. I am in the process of hauling a stand out to his area and believe me brother that is some work. It takes dedication to hunt like that. I had the best hunt I have ever had this past weekend and never even got a shot off. I was able to stalk up on dozens of deer ( I saw literally 50 plus deer over two days). No shooters for me unfortunately. I am not hauling an immature 8 of the woods, when I am several miles in. Not a chance. For the big boy, I will quarter him and take the head with me right there in the field ( I bought a backpack and lined it just for that purpose). There is no other way to get there, other than by foot.

Good luck and have patience. Due dilligence pays off, and besides to me it is more fun to get into thier environment than to just hunt a field or a powerline. It will really help your woodcraft as well. Good Hunting.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The Blue Hoo (12/20/2007)
fishin daily (12/18/2007) Do you need to join a club with food plots or what or is blackwater just out of big bucks because of all the hunters hunting there?
on private land. public land has plenty of monsters runnin around but they are WAAAAAAAAAY smarter than the average bear. so many people want to hunt within a few hundred yards of their truck....you're not gonna get a nice buck that way. get to know some people, get involved in a hunting club or invest and buy some land of your own and then talk to someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to PROPER herd management and although it might take 2-5 years to establish itself, you will start to see more deer and better quality deer. 90% of people i know do not know jack squat about how to grow deer. they think "oh all i need to do is plant some fall/winter food plots." this simply couldnt be farther from the truth. for one thing, our deer still have plenty of acorns to feed on...which is better for them than any food plot i plant. secondly, bucks dont even grow their antlers in the fall. for a buck to achieve its utmost genetic potential (and obviously if he has substandard genetics (aka cull bucks) this doesnt apply), he needs to have something like a minimum of 17% protein in his diet from feburary thru august. and this is the minimum. at our place they're gettting something between 25-35% protein in their diet thanks to the proper planting and food pellets/mineral supplements. and im not talking about just throwing some cattle feed in their troughs. remember, land will appreciate and if you're managing it for timber first, wildlife second, the sale of timber will be instrumental in paying off the land.
Damn woody, you didnt leave me anything to say!:moon He hit the nail on the head. To get deer to their full potential they require year round attention, even when you worry about rattle snakes every other step, and it is 90+ degrees, it isnt easy, but you reap what you sew.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i smell what you are stepping in. Thats when i have been down in the swaps with the owls and snakes but it is so think in there you cant see 10 feet in front of you. then there is always the question which way to go will they be in the deep water on the edge of the swamp or where it is thick and not really wet.. i have tried all of these several times have heard alot but caint ever see anything with it beaing so thick

1 - 20 of 27 Posts