Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ifound some on-line but does anyone know of any local places to buy a milk crate? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
20,439 Posts
outdoorkid (3/28/2010)Ijust take them from the gas stations. That is where I get mine.
Only thing wrong with that is its stealing. Be pretty bad to go to jail for stealing milk crates.

·
Fishing Goddess
1,072 Posts
WalMart has them and so does Office Max and Office Depot. They run about $4 or $5.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I think if you ask any convenience store for one, they will just give it to you. I agree, just taking one is not right. I think they sell them at walmart and maybe at office depot. Also might have them at some big chain craft/hobby stores.

·
Registered
363 Posts
on the rocks (3/28/2010)WalMart has them and so does Office Max and Office Depot. They run about $4 or $5.

I think the ones at Office Max and Office Depot are hard plastic, likely wouldnt hold up to kayak duty. not sure about WalMart.

I have a really old red one off a milk truck. PM me if you want it. i'll look around for it in the day lite. And no i didnt steal it.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Splittine (3/28/2010)
outdoorkid (3/28/2010)Ijust take them from the gas stations. That is where I get mine.
Only thing wrong with that is its stealing. Be pretty bad to go to jail for stealing milk crates.
What do you mean stealing??? They've been giving these away for YEARS!!!! YEARS!!!

Ha Ha! Just kidding- don't want the PFF po po coming after me for stealing a milk crate.

Seriously though, the West Marine on Barrancas in Pensacola has/had them for like $20 (expensive? yes, but cheaper than jail!)

I prefer the larger "legal" sized crates (pun intended) that you can get from Office Depot. They put them on sale from time to time for like 2 for $10 or something. They don't last long because they are made really cheap (maybe one season) but I bought a stockpile of them - so I'm OK.

Here's how I have mine rigged:

You can see - I've got 2 sand spikes zip tied to the corners, and some carabiners and bungee cords wrapped around the outside.

Next, is a view from the top:

There is a bungee across the top to hold everything down, then two layers of large plano cases. The top one is the liquid tight one that I keep the Gulp! in.

Under that, there is another large plano box w/ all of my soft plastic lures in it...

And finally, you can see:

There's enough room for 5 smaller plano boxes, a small tool holder full of pliers, cutters, line, leader, gloves, etc...

One box for spoons, one for twitch/rattle baits, one for cajun thunders, one for jig heads, and another for all other riggings (sinkers, beads, hooks, crimps, swivels, etc...)

On my boat, I bungee it to the cooler that's in front of the center console and I gain two additional rod holders.

On a kayak, it gets bungeed down in the aft storage area and is ready to be clipped into the bungees on a kayak and I gain two rod holders (not really usable for trolling or whatever, but good for storage).

I can slip it into the beach cart (the sand spikes slip out of the zip ties).

Or, if I go on someone elses boat, it is nice to just have all of my own stuff in one neat package.

Hope this helps give someone a good idea.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
John,

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing a few at Hall's Hardware in Milton on Hwy90 just West of 87 for fairly cheap. They're the heavier duty than the ones at office depot, etc.

Alex

·
Registered
947 Posts
Please don't steal one - the industry is making an effort to catch crate thieves - seriously. Most of the time they catch folks selling pick up truck loads to plastic recyclers... That said, most grocery stores / C-stores have stacks of them and will probably give you one if you ask. The milk crates are heavy duty, the file crates at Office Dept, etc are much lighter weight and flimsier... I bought a few at West Marine - on sale $5 each. Very sturdy.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I used a milk crate for a while but now have one of the narrow/tall Igloo coolers with a pair of the 3 rod holders screwed to 2 of 4 sides. I throw everything in the cooler including some cold packs. Try to keep stuff seperate in bags/containers in case a fish or two goes in there but don't always do a good job of keeping stuff seperate.

I need to install the Scotty rod holders and electonics on my new Outback hull. I mounted the old ones in the troughs on the side just behind the seat. I am thinking of installing a plastic board across that trough and then attach the mounts to the boards. Anyone try this?

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
I work at a Home Depot and have had 3 people come in the last few dayslooking for milk crates. My response is "kayaker?" All were looking for a crate for thier kayak. I recommended hitting the local gas stations an begging for them:) One of the guys came back an hour later with a crate for me after one of the gas stations gave him some. I want to say it was a Shell, but I can't remember. So I would resort to begging gas station workers.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i go to the local food markets around here...daphne...go to like a health food store or some type of farmers market. they usually toss them or just keep them around. if you offer money they will either say $5 or just give you one of the hundreds they have and they arent like the walmart crap ones they are thick and can last forever

1 - 17 of 17 Posts