Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This time last year we were killing the specks in the upper Escambia bay, but I went fishing up there three times this past weekend and could only find Reds, which isn't too bad either.

Are the specks still down south of the I-10 bridge? I'm not asking for spots, I'm just curious if anyone is having any luck up here.

·
Registered
330 Posts
This time last year we were killing the specks in the upper Escambia bay, but I went fishing up there three times this past weekend and could only find Reds, which isn't too bad either.

Are the specks still down south of the I-10 bridge? I'm not asking for spots, I'm just curious if anyone is having any luck up here.
Jason,
It was a neap tide this past weekend which makes fishing tougher. The fishing in Escambia & Blackwater is good right now. As we keep getting these cold fronts the fishing is only going to get better. These areas get a lot of pressure which can affect the fishing as any angler knows. Keep a eye on the tides and weather patterns, work points and drop-offs. If you're working 1-2 ft of water and not getting any bites, move out off the bank in 3-4 foot of water. Sometimes these little adjustments can make or break a fishing day.

I fished this past weekend and it was tough for sure because of the tides.

Your question about the specks still being down past I-10 is;
Many fish are still down south around the sound, lower bay and big lagoon areas. But they are starting to make their migration towards the upper bays. I do feel that their are still many residence fish that live in the upper bay areas and they are quality fish because before the neap-tide I was hooking up some really nice fish.
Hope this helps,
Good luck on your next outing.
John

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info John. I thought it was strange that there wasn't much movement going on with the tides, but I didn't know we were in a neap.

I was beginning to worry that something was wrong with the specks this year. I've never had such a bad weekend fishing down here.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Capt, thanks for the updates! I fished the slack tide mid-day up there yesterday. Wasn't expecting much, but was my only opportunity to go. Found one nice 25" red and a few 12" specks in 3-5' of water. Moved in shallow and waded a grass flat with about 1-2' of water and actually saw some reds tailing! Didn't get any tailers to bite, but did pick up a few more dink specks and a lil bass. I'll see yall out there on moving water soon.

·
FISH A HOLIC
610 Posts
the colder it gets the better its gonna get.

Basnbud

·
Registered
450 Posts
Jason,
It was a neap tide this past weekend which makes fishing tougher. The fishing in Escambia & Blackwater is good right now. As we keep getting these cold fronts the fishing is only going to get better. These areas get a lot of pressure which can affect the fishing as any angler knows. Keep a eye on the tides and weather patterns, work points and drop-offs. If you're working 1-2 ft of water and not getting any bites, move out off the bank in 3-4 foot of water. Sometimes these little adjustments can make or break a fishing day.

I fished this past weekend and it was tough for sure because of the tides.

Your question about the specks still being down past I-10 is;
Many fish are still down south around the sound, lower bay and big lagoon areas. But they are starting to make their migration towards the upper bays. I do feel that their are still many residence fish that live in the upper bay areas and they are quality fish because before the neap-tide I was hooking up some really nice fish.
Hope this helps,
Good luck on your next outing.

John

Great advice. Way to help out a fellow fisherman.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.