Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a 15' 4 gheenoe thats going to be a pretty mean flats boat, so i need to know where the flats are that the damn red are hiding up in. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
google earth and bing maps can be your best friend...plus add a map that shows depth to the arsenal and you will be set

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, not brand new to the area, but i'm customizing a 15'4 Gheenoe, for flats fishing and i just can't remember seeing a lot of nice grassy flats nearby. I'm dropping in over on NAS. I definantly checked out the maps, saw some flats, but nothing really grassy. I appreciate the tips though.:usaflag

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">If you?re launching at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Sherman</st1:place></st1:City>?s Cove come out of the cove and turn right.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Once you pass the dock on the right it?s all grass flats to the fence line at the end of the base.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Haven?t had much luck with reds or trout there lately but there has been a lot of Spanish.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Good luck.</p>

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I hope that this doesn't soon too snooty or arrogant, but you can pretty much find grass flats EVERYWHERE in this area.

Like others have said, look at google and bing maps. There are a LOT of sand flats, but there's grass around the edges and the bottom of basically our entire bay and sound system.

Now, accessing them from a Gheenoe is going to be tricky at times especially if you hit the grass flats around Portofino or somewhere like that b/c it can be a relatively long haul across the sound if it is choppy.

Personally, if I could launch at NAS Pensacola, I'd go around sand island then work the grass flats on the North side of the East end of Perdido Key (Johnson's Beach/Fort McRae); but, that's just me.

Another option is to head into the River systems - Blackwater and Escambia. Lots of creeks and grass there too.

Just be careful in that Gheenoe around here, they are kinda tippy!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Generally between P'Cola and Navarre the grass flats are on the north side of the sound and the sand flats are on the south. There are some of each on both sides, but I have found this to be mostly true. Hope that helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts