Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Run Dover (2/17/2010)
flyliner (2/17/2010)Its easier to guess who will catch it rather than when, if I was a betting man I would put my money on ahatteras with a green hull

If I was a betting man, I would go with a boat named c dawg,and if I can remember, Colley or Pinney as the crew. If not that boat, I would go with those names.

I seem to remember them causing quite the stir last Cobia season!!!!

c-dawgs gone...its back in jacksonville this year i believe. myles and alex will be fishing the reel worthless. I'm going with the full pull seeing the first fish on may 12th...yes may!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I caught one on Okaloosa Island in about a foot of water with a dip net a few years ago. There was two of them on a bottom ray. I thought they were remoras and wanted to show kids the suction disc on top of there head. I made a quick scoop with the net and got one of them.

I would love to catch the first one again, did it in 1973 from Okaloosa pier. I don't have the time to stand around for a week to see one or two fish. I will start fishing when someone else has seen a few.

Boat, March 23

Pier, Pensacola March 27

·
Registered
437 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
3 rd week in march usually produces some fish. Once a boat catches one, the piers usually catch as well on the same day or the next day. I fell the first fish will be squiddish to eat. May have to heat the bait up before presenting it. March 21st thru the 30th will have the highest tides of the month. March 18th is mlk day! My Ling Killing day!:letsdrink

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
BTT - March 20th was my original guess but I have a feeling it's going to be sooner now! Let's see whose guess is closest from when we made our original guesses back in February. I'm sticking with my March 20th guess but I still havethat feeling it's going to be sooner, time will tell!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I read somewhere on one of the 5 or so Cobia posts that when the Dogwood trees bloom the Cobia wouldn't be far behind. It started yesterday in Fort Walton Beach, you can't really drive anywhere in town without seeing Dogwoods in full bloom so bring on the Cobia! My original pick of March 20 might be good if we can get past this weekend without one being caught but I have a feeling that won't happen.

·
Registered
687 Posts
69Viking (3/11/2010)I read somewhere on one of the 5 or so Cobia posts that when the Dogwood trees bloom the Cobia wouldn't be far behind. It started yesterday in Fort Walton Beach, you can't really drive anywhere in town without seeing Dogwoods in full bloom so bring on the Cobia! My original pick of March 20 might be good if we can get past this weekend without one being caught but I have a feeling that won't happen.
Right about the timeI start hearing the Parula Warblers arriving from the Yucatan, the first cobia has usually been caught, I heard one yesterday so anytime...I am going w/ the 14th...my buddy and I been going on this method for years

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
SuperSpook (3/11/2010)
69Viking (3/11/2010)I read somewhere on one of the 5 or so Cobia posts that when the Dogwood trees bloom the Cobia wouldn't be far behind. It started yesterday in Fort Walton Beach, you can't really drive anywhere in town without seeing Dogwoods in full bloom so bring on the Cobia! My original pick of March 20 might be good if we can get past this weekend without one being caught but I have a feeling that won't happen.
Right about the timeI start hearing the Parula Warblers arriving from the Yucatan, the first cobia has usually been caught, I heard one yesterday so anytime...I am going w/ the 14th...my buddy and I been going on this method for years
I think that's a good guess. If I could change my guess from the 20th I would change it to the 14th or the 15th based on the fact it's still going to be rough on Saturday but the water will start to calm on Sunday and then be 1-2 on Monday. I bet with the calm seas forecast for Monday a lot offirst Cobia hopefulls call in "sick" to their regular jobs on Monday!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts