Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Center Console with a Garmin GPSMap 492 and Furuno 600l sounder. Lately I have been wanting a larger screen gps. Is the new equipment that much better than what I have now or would I just be wasting away money for a bigger screen? I have learned from my research online that both of these models are discontinued but don't really think that means much..

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
i would get the bigger screen...makes the eye stress a whole lot less...look at it this way...its like going from looking at the screen on your cellphone to your computer screen

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,444 Posts
Technology for the GPS, there is no improvement in accuracy.

There can be a BIG improvement in the presentation though.

Jim

·
Registered
763 Posts
What you are encountering is model obsolecense. The units software is updated and the screen technolgy has improved. Other than that, GPS is GPS. LArger screens are good especially if you overlay sounder and radar. Much easier to read when you are running through the chop. Also better at night.

I can get very good discounts on Garmin, Ratheon and Furuno and can install if you are interested.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Garmin GPSMap 492 and Furuno 600l sounder.

Keep the Garmin 492. Upgrade the Furuno 600 to a 620. They are night and day different.

The 620 has manual controls.....No jumping thru menu's. :(

It has more color.

It has more power. 600 = 350watts 620 = 600watts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts