Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

When should I be expecting the chicken dolphin to show up?

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  cigar minnow 
#1 ·
I've never caught a big one and we finally got a boat this year so I really want to get out and try to get a few! I've heard its fairly easy and alota fun I'm just not too sure when to expect them or where to start looking other than floating grass or debris offshore. any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks guys!

#2 ·
Caught a box car load just yesterday out of Destin and saw a bazillion in the school.

#4 ·
Thanks guys i had no idea they were already here!!! did you guys catch em' trollin or just pitchin baits on the school cause the only one I've ever caught we caught trollin for kings on a duster rig with a ballyhoo and i really caught him by accident... whats a good bait to toss? I hear LY are good but i can never keep them alive longer than 20mins outta the pass and i also hear large white pomp jigs/buck tail jigs are good?

#5 ·
I caught them on a little yozuri crystal minnow, gotcha and pompano jig. I prefer the yozuri the most.

#9 ·
FISHUNT7 (23/05/2010)How far do you have to go out of Orange Beach before you start seeing the chicken Dolphin?
The distance is not as important as finding some floating debree for them to hide under and feed off the small minnows under it also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.