Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who hunt in WMAs...How many days in a row do you hunt an area before going to another spot?

I appreciate the replies.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
It depends on the current amount of sign. If I hunt a spot and it does not produce, I then take a look around before leaving to make sure the Deer are still in the area ie. fresh sign. Changing spots does not normally help all that much, if your spot is in a known travel path. Deer will travel different circuits during the season depending on the wind. Stay put and eventually they will come by. BTW, use the mid-day to do a little stalking and you will come across a new path or two. Good luck and good hunting.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
if the deer sign is there, that means the deer are there. deer travel at different times depending on weather, temp, moon phase, ect. so eventually they are gonna come by. so finda place that has a good amount of deer sign and choose a tree that you can overlook the area without entering and contaminating it, and you should be able to hunt there as much as you want. trim your trails and hang your stands before the season so you dont have to "bother" the deer and their environment during the hunting season.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sure apprecaiate the feedback...Today about 11:00 I scouted out the entire bayhead..My spot has the heaviest amount of deer signs.I also plan to cut off a branch..this will put me 16 foot up. It's an extra 500 yds but I could approach the stand a different way to advoid walking on the deer trail. Right now the deer trail is part of my entranceto the stand. the deer trail is so heavily used it actually comes up on Google Earth..It's the middle of an hour glass shaped bayhead..,,

I'll see if I can't pull it up.

OK Here it is,,,the dark trail in the middle is not a man made trail..It is a deer trail..The only available tree is about 1/2 inch to the right of the dark line{Deer trail} The only way to approach the tree off the deer trail is to walk all the way around the upper cypress dome...This is where I spooted the big buck. The other few pines are too small for a climber..Teh gray area is brush...the deer move in the brush crossing from bayhead to bayhead..The field surrounding the pines are a bush that grows purple berries..The deer feed on these berries. Also..note the old loggin gtrail on the extreme western part of th emap..THis is how I approach it..I have trail tacks guiding me across the palmetto field..I could continue ot walk all the way up to the top and and then around the bay head..I usedto do that..The deer trail is a big short cut.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts