Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate to some dumb but I have never killed a hog other than as a kid with my Dad. My Dad and, Ihunted them when I was a kid with dogs and I joined in but, that was a very long time ago and, I don't remember the cleaning part or much else other than we hunted in some wet and, rough swamps. LOL and the butt whipping I got when the biggest one he ever killed and was going to mount was in the frezzer on the back porch and, I tripped over the cord and unplugged it.Remember all the stiches that our trail dog had to have when she decided she was gonna become a catch dog. I have heard some people say that you have to wait till cold weather to kill them is that true?The club that I joined this year is loaded with them and from everything that I have read and, heard that is bad for the deer. So I want to take out as many as I can without wasting any good eating. Besides I have more picture's on the trail cam of hogs than deer.Is there a certain temp. that you need to wait on or, do you just need to get them gutted and on ice ASAP. I have used the place in Chumalaka for deer processing in the past and they do a geat good for the life of me I can't think of the name do thay also process hogs? Also do yall clean them like a deer or is there more to than that? I have heard of folks boiling water and, dropping them in before cleaning. Like I said hate to sound dumb but, would rather do that than waste some good eating.Thanks, Gene P.S if anyone want to join me in thinning the herd this bow season or, during the gun season give me a call 525-3256

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hey, Tide, processors name is Oak's - My advise to you is to have SEVERAL sharp knives when you go to skin that pig! I have only taken and cleaned one, but brother was that a job! Temperature really doesn't matter, just get it in the cooler asap.

Good luck thinning the herd!

ROLL TIDE!!!!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Gene, Yeah Oaks does a fine job with pork, but I believe he only takes hogs on certain days of the week ? so you may want to give him a call first. Also, I?d be happy to assist with thinning them suckers out! :) <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
903 Posts
kids and i have probably killed 50 - 60 in the last few years and all but about 5 went to the gut pit. we only keep females up to 80# and we clean them like a deer but the hide is much harder to get off. they don't smell all that great either. last feburary we were hog hunting after deer season and 2 sows and 8-10 piglets came into a friends field. he killed one of the sows and the other ran off. this was around dark so myself and another guy drove up to the plot to see what was going on and the piglets came back out so 1 guy shoots in the middle of the group and killed 3 with one shot. when he shot one of the little pigs ran toward me and i was able to catch him. we put him in a corn bag and took him back to the camp and put a dog collar and rope on him. you ever seen a pig do a alligator roll? it was really fun to watch. well i did not want the pig (city of orange beach would not appreciate) but one of the guys took it home and gave it to a lady in Lillian and today it is a pet. haven't put any hog pics on the website yet but will.

·
Super Moderator
28,497 Posts
Hawgs are dern sure hard to clean....their skin don't peel off like a deer! Most folks only eat sows cause they aren't supose to be as "strong" as boars. As fer processing hawg, Oaks in Chumuckla, Blairs in Berrydale use to do it, and I take all my game to Lee's Meat market in Milton just north of the high school (Charles Holland owns the place and is a great guy) Hawg is also a heavy boned animal so when you take one in and don't get alot of meat don't be surprised...Kill a piglet and rotissere it on a pit or grill

·
Registered
158 Posts
Oaks has been doing my meat since they started. They are good people, known them all my life, they do a great job. If you go up Chumuckla hwy before you get to the Tomb Thumb, you will see the Opry House sign on the left side of the road. Turn there and you take a right, cant miss it.

4,058 Posts
my3nme (10/10/2007)when he shot one of the little pigs ran toward me and i was able to catch him.

hahaha that's badass.

gene-im not sure what exactly you are asking regarding the temperature. you can shoot hogs year-round. but obviously, if it's not real cool, the sooner you can gut them and get them either on ice or to a processor, the better. i clean em' just like a deer (keep the butt/thighs, tenderloins (delicious), and ribs). ask dave williams (sparky) about how to do the bacon-cant remember if you were down at my place last year the same time as he was, but the bacon and ribs he brought with him were freaking incredible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts