Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been planning to get off shore this spring and have been searching for a way to make a DYI beach/kayak cart for about 2 months. I knew from my research if I bought a ready made cart it was going to be either the Hobie or Wheeleeze. I just hadn't been able to convince myself though that I couldn't make something just as well for a lot less. The problem with making a cart for yourself is you cannot save that much because if you get the low pressure tires they are very expensive, there is no way around that. Your looking at about 150-175 for two smaller ones. Then all of your time and other expenses and you still won't have the same thing. We were in Pensacola for a week of relaxation and the man at Pensacola Kayak and Sail answered all my questions about the Wheeleeze cart and I left. Two days later the wind calmed down I saw the blue water and I was back to get the Wheeleeze Cart size large/SUV cart:))
If you use both straps and you cross them this cart stays put. If you don't listen to the man at the store and rig it your own way it can slip. :no: We have two Hobie Quest 13's and although we have only used the cart on three outings one of them I had to go cross country(landed 1/4 mile from vehicle) and it never even thought about tipping over. This cart gets your boat up off the ground for good clearance and you don't have to stoop down and hurt your low back to pull it. Balance the boat on it and you will be happy! If I get another brand boat (but I doubt it) I'll still be able to use this cart. Go ahead and spend your Christmas money now like I did and get out there!!

Good luck to all of you!!:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
Get the rails from the wheeleez site and your kayak will mostly sit tight on the cart without straps at all... pulling across level sand anyway. Just have to have it positioned right.

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
I have a question for Bahen, or whoever else can answer. My dad bought a native mariner. We tried using my big wheeleez with it and had to play with it for a while to make it work. Is there some sort of attachment for the cart to make it fit the split hull of the mariner?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
As to the cost -- I bought mine in '09 I think? After lugging and struggling to get my kayaks across the sand for about 5 years...

Each time I use the tires I mentally give myself 5$... because I would gladly pay some some teenager $5 to haul/drag/push/whatever that beast from the parking lot to the sand and then after a day for peddling I'ld pay another $5 for that teenager to get it from the water to the parking lot....

Sounds corny but after 5 years I've "put" about $500 dollars in my pocket.

Blackjeep - I'll have to look up the item you brought up... I use one stap and one bungee (Strap on front).

Cheers,
Stressless

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
When I use a strap which is maybe about 60% of the time, I only use one strap for the front of the cart to the yak. The foam on the rails provide rubbery friction to keep the yak on there and they cradle the hull nicely. No need for a strap to the back side of the cart unless I'm going to push it backwards.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a question for Bahen, or whoever else can answer. My dad bought a native mariner. We tried using my big wheeleez with it and had to play with it for a while to make it work. Is there some sort of attachment for the cart to make it fit the split hull of the mariner?
The best place to put the big wheels on the Mariner is in the front where the keel transitions to the tunneled hull. It is the only spot flat enough for it to fit. You can then run your straps through the grooves on the top to prevent them from sliding.

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
I've got the rails. We tried just putting the cart where you said, Bahen. Ended up putting a board across the cart's rails, spanning the gap in the hull. A made-for-the-cart attachment sure would be nice. It's the only reason he hasn't bought some wheels from you yet. He's dead set on not havin to customize a bran new set of $200 wheels lol.

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
FLSalomon said:
Question for you PA owners - do the Wheeleez rails help with transporting a PA?

I have a Revo and a Wheeleez cart, but no PA (yet...)
They make a huge difference. It's do-able without em, but it really is needed.

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
Bahen said:
I just took some beach wheels downstairs and strapped down our demo Mariner with no problem. It sits on the front with no problem without the rails. I crossed the straps the underneath the cart and ran them over the paddle groove on the top. I hope these pics help.

Edit: I can't get the pics to come up. I posted them on the facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.570532802980030.1073741827.304698972896749&type=1
Thanks Bahen. I'll take the rails off if we need to do it again. We're looking for a way to get the wheels more towards the center, to distribute the weight better. Cast net, cooler, tackle and all that jazz gets heavy on a long drag.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts